What Should I Charge?

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm by STRAWBERRY1390

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 12

This is the part I hate the most. I never know what to charge and usually end up undercharging because I'm afraid people will freak if I tell them what I really think it should cost! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif Anyway, I just got a call last night for a groom's cake due this Saturday. This is a friend of my brother's who is planning her sister's wedding and planned to "try to make it" herself but has now gotten too busy. So my brother and sister-in-law gave her my number. She wants the cake to be Captain America's shield. She gave me specific instructions that the bride (who she said has been somewhat of a "bridezilla" -- great!) wants Duncan Hines yellow cake mix and canned chocolate frosting, and she wants it covered and decorated with fondant. I told her I could use the cake mix she wanted, no problem, but I don't know that I can use canned frosting under fondant, so she told me to just use whatever chocolate frosting I want and that would be fine. She will pick the cake up from me Saturday and was very relieved and happy that I said I could do it. So we get to the end of the conversation and she hasn't yet mentioned price, so I say, "Do you want me to just call you tomorrow night with a price and we can go from there?" She says, "Yeah, just let me know whatever and I'll pay you when I pick it up Saturday." As for size, she was planning to use 12 x 12 in. pan and just carve to shape. Since it's a round shield, I'm just going to bake 12 in. rounds and maybe bake the dome part in a bowl so I really won't have to do much carving. So, long story just to say, does anyone have any suggestions on how much I should charge for this? I'm really clueless. Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 12

A 12" round serves 56. Plus the round dome...

Minimum $150, which is around $3/serving, and not a penny lower. I'd be in the $250+ range, but I'm not using a box mix and am using fresh fruits/organics/etc... as well as being around the overpriced DC metro area.

It also depends what your market used to as well!

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 12

You might not be carving but it still sounds like alot of work and short notice, its a tough one but maybe $150.00

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocakes

....because I'm afraid people will freak if I tell them what I really think it should cost!

Get over it. The cashier at the grocery and the clerk at the utility company has no problem telling you what it SHOULD cost. Let 'em freak ... it's not your problem. That's what Walmart is for.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 12

icon_confused.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

....because I'm afraid people will freak if I tell them what I really think it should cost!

Get over it. The cashier at the grocery and the clerk at the utility company has no problem telling you what it SHOULD cost. Let 'em freak ... it's not your problem. That's what Walmart is for.

Best advice your could ever get!

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 12

OOps wrong smiley thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

OOps wrong smiley thumbs_up.gif

icon_lol.gif In the words of Larry the Cable guy "Now that's funny right thar!"

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 12

I know you guys are so right! I do need to get over it. I get so mad at myself for spending so much time on a cake and then not getting proper compensation for it, and really, it's nobody's fault but mine! Thanks for the kick in the pants, Indy! icon_lol.gif

One more question: Am I right about not putting fondant over canned icing? I don't plan to use it, but I just want to make sure I'm giving out correct info in that regard. Thanks again!

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 12

You're right about the canned icing. IMO it's too thin and sticky. Stick to what you normally use. icon_smile.gif

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

HERE, HERE!!!1 thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

I know you guys are so right! I do need to get over it. I get so mad at myself for spending so much time on a cake and then not getting proper compensation for it, and really, it's nobody's fault but mine! Thanks for the kick in the pants, Indy! icon_lol.gif

One more question: Am I right about not putting fondant over canned icing? I don't plan to use it, but I just want to make sure I'm giving out correct info in that regard. Thanks again!

It is probably the taste that she is after. I know a lot of people who go to parties or have their own and wont eat the cake because its not DH or BC. Try making some chocolate shortening based buttercream and once it is almost ready to come out the mixer add a container of softened DH Dark Chocolate frosting. That might help.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy

EDITED TO ADD: DOH!! you said you were not going to use it...my bad. icon_redface.gif But just in case, it might help someone else out.. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%