Black Fondant Question

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 7

Pfeil & Holing really put me in a bind! I ordered black Satin Ice on Monday, needed for this weekend, along with an 11x15 sheet pan and various other itmes to make up their $50 minimum. I get the order yesterday, and they sent me a Fat Daddio pan, which i don't want... and no Satin Ice! Apparently they were out of stock and didn't bother to tell me, and also substituted a Fat Daddio for their magic line knock offs. grrr! thumbsdown.gif So now it's Thursday, and I'm stuck! icon_cry.gif

Sooooo... I have about 1 lb (or less) of Satin Ice Chocolate fondant. Is it possible to mix that with MMF and black coloring? Or just make the whole batch from MMF? I really hate making MMF and can never achieve dark colors with it, esp black!! I think I'm going to redesign this cake so i only need black for the 6" round...

Any thoughts?

6 replies
baycheeks1 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 7

Why not just make the choc fondant black...that way you wont have to make any.

oneyracing Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 7

have you tried the true black mmf in the recipe section?

beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 7

baycheeks, i don't have enough choc. fondant... icon_sad.gif
oneyracing - thanks, didn't know that existed! going to check it out...

oneyracing Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 7

its what i use...seems to be the blackest mmf there is...i have used it in a few of my cakes in my gallerys if you want to see how black it is

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Pfeil & Holing really put me in a bind! I ordered black on Monday, needed for this weekend, along with an 11x15 sheet pan and various other itmes to make up their $50 minimum. I get the order yesterday, and they sent me a Fat Daddio pan, which i don't want... and no ! Apparently they were out of stock and didn't bother to tell me, and also substituted a Fat Daddio for their magic line knock offs. grrr! thumbsdown.gif So now it's Thursday, and I'm stuck! icon_cry.gif

Any thoughts?

I know this won't answer your specific question but I had to add my two cents about P&H. I would use them all the time. They were all I had im in NYC area and I would take public transit to them. I decided to start again and since I didnt have anytime I would order from them. I received a phone call ONLY because the lady noticed I lived in the NYC area. Since there isn't a area for shipping information and you notice they didnt quote a shipping price, she asked if I would prefer to pick up, I said no due to time constraints. They charged me 25 bucks to ship from Queens to the Bronx like 4 - 7 miles away- UPS. They put the mat I ordered in one of the special tube mailers and everything else separate-just some tools and styrofoam. Unreal. thumbsdown.gif

And they never tell you or call you when they are out of stock...NEVER. On the flip side I ordered 20lbs of fondant from GSA (im starting to sound like GSA spokeperson...lol) plus boards and stuff payed like 11 bucks shipping and they are like 2-3 counties away....

Thanks for letting me rant

Good luck with the fondant situation and happy caking,
Stacy

beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

ugh. thanks for sharing your story, strawberry! that stinks!!!
i'm on LI too and the reason i ordered from them was basically I needed the 11x15 and i wanted straight sides, not Fat Daddio. Their line of pans is very similar to Magic Line and magic line does not make an 11x15?? So, since I needed black fondant and needed to get the $50 minimum, I got it from them. A phone call would've been nice.

I try not to order fondant from them, b/c they're more expensive and have a minimum order, and in the past, they just throw it all together in one box and i've received dented pans. more than once. The only good thing is i get it the next day. I called customer service this morning to inquire about it and they were less than helpful. They told me the fondant was on backorder. apparenlty backorder means you have to reorder if you still want it and hope they have it? and about the pan, well they didn't have it so they substituted!!!!!!!! But I can return it for credit (and pay to ship it to them!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%