Shelf Life On Hi Ratio...

Decorating By yummy Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 4:33am by yummy

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 7

When sugarshack was generous enough to share her bc tips I looked for hi ratio shortening in my local cake supply store. They had the ck brand. The bucket was dirty, dusty and it looked like it was there for years, I left the store without it. How long is it good for?

6 replies
yummy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 7

Hello!?!? Is this microphone on? lol

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 7

You should check with the CK company - they should be able to tell you.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 7

I would think your gut instinct would be fair to go on. I had a can of crisco in the way back of my pantry. I don't know how long it had been there but it was rancid when I opened the sealed can.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

I wouldn't take a dusty, dirty container as the product being bad.
Store rooms are not the cleanest sometimes.
But...you can usually tell if its bad if the product looks a bit transparent...it gets kind of a clear look to it...not a solid white.

I have a 50 lb box....they usually last me a year, maybe a little longer...icon_wink.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

I have a 50 lb box....they usually last me a year, maybe a little longer...icon_wink.gif

Same for me. I cut up my block into 14 oz. (2 cups, volume not weight) blocks wrapped in freezer paper and stored individually in sealed plastic containers. The containers go into a large storage bin and that's kept in a cool, dark room.

HTH
Rae

yummy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:33am
post #7 of 7

Yes I realize that it might be the stores lack of cleaning and not that it's been sitting there for years. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%