The Importance Of A Good Wedding Cake

Business By costumeczar Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm by sarahpierce

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #31 of 49

So....alright, I'm probably going to get a skewed answer, on THIS board, but. Would anyone here go to a restauant that did STRICTLY desserts, fresh daily, to get a good dessert? Even if you ate dinner at one restaurant?

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #32 of 49

I have actually gone to another place to get dessert after eating at a restaurant. So yes I would.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #33 of 49

Oh heck yeah man! When we do go out (rarely), we'll go get a good steak done by people who are experts in steak, not dessert, and then go to a cafe where we know they make everything there!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #34 of 49

Oh yeah, i *love* going to dessert places. I am dessert kind of person though. A big chocolate chip cookie and a cup of coffee if like the perfect breakfast to me. I don't do it often, but I would like to every day.

I would love to have a dessert place, not like a candy shop, but desserts. Cakes, cookies, pies, cheesecakes, whole or by the slice, and then a nice espresso machine and maybe some wine. Maybe I don't want to do all the work to run a place like that, but I would surely frequent it! lol.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

So....alright, I'm probably going to get a skewed answer, on THIS board, but. Would anyone here go to a restauant that did STRICTLY desserts, fresh daily, to get a good dessert? Even if you ate dinner at one restaurant?

Yes I do. I go to specialty cafes and restaurants to enjoy their desserts and to learn new techniques and flavors.

I also eat dessert anywhere and everywhere partly to satisfy my sweet tooth, which would be happy even with just sweetened liquid coffee creamer, but mostly to check out what everyone else is doing and how my products compare.

Market research, you could say. icon_biggrin.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:08am
post #36 of 49

I have become such a food snob that I can't even eat out anymore. I swear the restaurants and cafes just don't take pride in a good meal anymore. Many of them don't even have a real chef. And when I am served bad food I get really grumpy icon_lol.gif
Sometimes it's a pain though, if I'm out shopping and hungry, and can't buy anything to eat because everything is substandard. I've started taking packed lunch with me everywhere I go.

And when it comes to cakes and desserts, well, it's not only me, but my friends too. They say I've ruined their tastebuds. I say I've made them more refined icon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #37 of 49

We aren't the only food snobs. I have, on more than one occasion, been called by a non-baking friend to tell me to take samples to such-and-such a restaurant/bakery/coffee shop because they were horrible and should hire me/order from me instead. Makes me feel good. icon_smile.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Dessert Snob here icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Another industry that I've noticed has really cut back on their desserts are the cruiselines.

We first cruised in 1996 on the then Majesty (which was bought by Norwegian). The desserts were AWESOME.

Over the years we've been on Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and each time we've gone the food has gotten worse.

The dessert buffet they put out at lunch taste like it's straight off of a Sysco truck thumbsdown.gif I used to look forward to taking 2 or 3 different things.

Last cruise we went on was in November and the desserts completely stunk up the place. icon_sad.gif

On a positive I didn't gain the usual 5lbs from over-eating! icon_biggrin.gif

OMG, this thread had me thinking the same thing about cruises over the years. They SOOO have cut back on the quality of food! I've been on about 8 cruises:

Alaska - Princess back in the 90's
Carribean area- three times
Pacific coast Mexico - twice
Pacific coast south America - in 2000
LA to Baja California - 2006

The food has gone down so much. Desserts are similar to what you describe or worse. A few awful rememberences from the last cruise in Dec 08' (Norweigian)..

Surf n' Turf - tiny, over-boiled tough little lobster tail that was not even edible. Awful little hunk of grey steak

Chocolate Mousse - mostly cornstarch flavored with gelatin.

Consomme soups - blech, no flavor, no meatiness, over salted

Crab legs - very "iodiny".

Note: I travel a lot with my family and can recommend the best buffets in the entire world are in Vegas

-The breakfast Buffet at the Paris. To die for good. They have great pastry chefs, crepes ready-to-order, you name-it.

-Dinner at Bellagio's buffet. Just spend the money. Just do it. Trust me. I think... $30?

-Dinner at Venetian's buffet... almost as good as the Bellagio

-Dinner at Mandalay Bay's buffet ...same.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #39 of 49

I've become a food snob, too. But ironically, I still eat Twinkies and Spaghetti-O's and all the other junk I loved as a kid! For me, it has to do with the price. If I eat cheaper food, I expect lower quality. If I eat at a fancy expensive place, I expect it to be good! On the other hand, if the fancy restaurants mess it up, it makes my desserts look all the better! For example, I love my creme brulee recipe. A local restaurant advertises its famous "special recipe" creme brulee, and I was hesitant to try it -- if it was better than mine, I wouldn't be happy with my recipe anymore, but if it was bad, I'd have wasted five bucks. Well, I tried it, and it was terrible! I didn't even finish it, which for me is saying a LOT. And to be honest, I was a little relieved, because now I KNOW I make the best creme brulee in town!

I've turned my three-year-old into a food snob, too. I asked her what treats she wanted to take to preschool recently, and she said, "Hmm...how about creme brulee?" Um, no.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #40 of 49

Haven't read the entire thread yet but just wanted to share. One office Christmas party was catered by a well known restaurant around here. When I saw the dessert was blueberry cheesecake I got so excited! Blueberries can't be found fresh here and cream cheese is so expensive so I was looking forward to a treat.

When I tasted it I almost spit it out. It was gelatin. The cheesecake part was frakkin gelatin! Gelatin that didn't even taste good. And the blueberry part? I don't even wanna know what it was.

A few years later me and my relatives were at a local food fair and my aunt saw the blueberry cheesecake this restaurant was selling in their kiosk. I told her, don't even come near that, it's NOT blueberry and it's NOT cheesecake. She didn't listen to me and bought it and she regretted it.

Up til now when you go to their restaurant, they have it on their menu. They should change it to FAKE blueberry cheesecake. It makes me so mad!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #41 of 49

Someone said earlier that people prefer quantity over quality and I agree.

I absolutely detest smorgasbord eating. I refer to it as Pig Trough Eating. People practically run up to the food displays like they haven't eaten in days. Every single one that I've been to, the food has been total crap! I tell all my friends, "The only reason you SAY you like the food is because you can eat free." The protest that it's not free! I reply, "Yes it is. You pay a cover charge at the door and then you eat free for the rest of the night."

There is/was a smorgasbord restaurant near my hometown that everyone RAVED over. I was forced to go there 3 times (business meals) and it just sucked every time! Chicken and noodles were the plastic noodles (not hand rolled home made egg noodles like I make!) soaking in some hot water that had a few oils pots floating on the top. The salad bar had NO tomatoes, NO celery, NO onions ..... I consider these the basics of a salad bar!

But everyone loved it because they could Pig Trough eat!

Irony of ironies, I make a living with "buffet" catering! icon_rolleyes.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #42 of 49

Yeah, but I'm sure your buffets are awesome indy!

Whenever we go to PA to visit my in-laws we always end up at one of these "smorgasbord" restaurants. icon_sad.gif People line up like cattle waiting to get into them........I usually walk from station to station trying to find something that I want to eat and usually just end up with soup and salad.

I gave up "cafeteria" style eating when I graduated from high school!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:39am
post #43 of 49

I don't like it when people get a lot of food that they're not gonna eat and end up in the trash icon_sad.gif most of our parties here are buffet style because there are just way too many guests and some people would pile a mountain of food on their plates and then not eat it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #44 of 49

People just turn into idiots when you say "free food". A friend's employer caters lunch about 4 times a year. Big time. Grilled Steaks. Southern Fried Chicken. Friend tells me it is amazing to watch co-workers walk by with FOUR chicken breasts on their plate. Friend says "Who the heck eats four chicken breasts? You know they don't eat like that at home! But this is free so pile it on!"

Just say "free food!" and step back & watch the stampede.

Idiots. They turn into idiots.

Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #45 of 49

So back to the original headline about a good wedding cake. My best friend in the whole world got married on June 6th, I was suppose to do her wedding cake had been planning it for MONTHS as you all know very well it takes that long so then about 3 weeks before the wedding (I am the MOH also) I get a call from her oh do you mind if my aunt does the cake instead you are going to be really busy BLAH BLAH BLAH! So just to avoid a blow out I say sure no go ahead let her make it ( my friend was only going to pay for ingredients). So we get to the wedding and there is this very nicely slightly over decorates with string work cake. I am soo excited to have a piece because I have been on WW( Weight Watchers) and am DYING for a really nice piece of cake to waste some points on. WELL omg I wanted to puke! It was BOX mixes! AND it was under baked so I was CHEWING my cake I had one bite and it was over! I don't have the nerve to tell her Oh by the way you cake sucked should have gone with me and there was STILL 5 BIG serving tray of plated cake no one took!

Poor friend I don't even think she had any

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:41pm
post #46 of 49

I have to say that I'm happy to see that I'm not the only food snob lurking around on this site...I do think that we need to come up with a better word to describe it, though. "Snob" is so pejorative, and we're really just discerning eaters!

I agree 100% that buffet restaurants are the worst...My Aunt and Uncle LOVE to eat, and they once insisted on taking us to the grossest place when we visited. It was a broke-down buffet that featured the greasiest food you'll ever come across, and the nastiest desserts to finish your "meal." The sanitation stuff that you see in buffet restaurants also gets me. Employees dumping hot food right on top of the old food, people touching stuff with their hands, sneezing, etc etc. Truly nasty. After my son's baptism my inlaws took us all out to a buffet, and three people in our party got sick afterwards. I've never eaten at a buffet restaurant again.

And Cupcakeluv, I'd just say HA HA HA to myself about that nasty wedding cake. I'm sure you weren't the only person to notice it was foul. It's too bad for the bride, but that's what you get when you cheap out! I'll bet her aunt didn't even make her pay for the ingredients, so she thought it was a "better deal." icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #47 of 49

Yeah, count me in, too. I don't eat anyone else's cake now, except mine and my niece's. Of course, this is the niece I taught to bake and decorate cakes.

But in defense of Sysco, in particular, their coconut chicken and shrimp are to lavish over, and so not worth making for what they charge.

Pre-cooked, processed foods? Try any chain restaurant. We went to one 5 years ago. I ordered fajitas, because they smelled so good. I'm not a fan of cooked peppers, so I asked if I could get them without. The server said "No, sorry, but the food comes in pre-measured packets, and all we do is heat them up." I asked if there was anything on the menu that wasn't pre-cooked. He said "Just the steak and baked potato, but the potato is microwaved."

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcakeluv24

WELL omg I wanted to puke! It was BOX mixes! AND it was under baked so I was CHEWING my cake I had one bite and it was over! I don't have the nerve to tell her Oh by the way you cake sucked should have gone with me and there was STILL 5 BIG serving tray of plated cake no one took!

First off........can we not bash mix cakes and the people who happen to bake that way? I'm sure your "best friend in the whole world's Aunt" poured a lot of her love into that cake and it's wrong to bash her because you didn't like it.

Secondly, maybe there were "5 BIG serving tray" left because the place didn't cut the cake when they should have and most people had gone home by the time they did cut it.

I don't think this is what the OP meant at all! We're discussing "factory processed by machine" desserts, not "made with love" by a family member.

NOW I know why that other thread was started...........and rightfully so.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #49 of 49

Where is Chef Gordan Ramsey when we need him? All food pre-packaged and pre-cooked? That's ridicoulous! Maybe Chef Ramsey should kick their butts and call them donkeys! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%