The Importance Of A Good Wedding Cake

Business By costumeczar Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm by sarahpierce

costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 49

If anyone wants to stress the importance of a good wedding cake, as opposed to a pre-manufactered piece of nastiness (like we need more examples), feel free to use this anecdote.

I went to a meeting last night, and the place where it was held was a reception venue that has really good food. The owner makes her own pasta, etc etc, so I always look forward to eating there. The dinner was really good, then it was time for dessert! Yay!

There was a mini-buffet with little tarts, etc., which were obviously straight off of the Sysco truck...Okay, I knew that they don't make their own desserts all the time, whatever. I took one of each.

The first was some kind of a chocolte trifle...It looked delicious, but one taste and it was obvious that it was a smashed-up cake mix cake (and yes, I can tell the difference between scratch and mix) with some kind of artificial "cream" mixed up in it. Not a bit of natural ingredients here, it was obviously straight out of the chemistry shop. Very disappointing, and I only had one bite of that. (For me to only have one bite of something with chocolate in it is shocking, if you know me.)

Okay, so on to the next thing. It was a little tart, and after one bite of that I couldn't eat any more of it. It had such a nasty artificial flavor in both the crust and the filling I couldn't have any more of that. Yuck.

So the third thing was more chocolate, and even though my aforementioned love of chocolate would make me usually just eat the whole thing in one bite, after the first two things I had to really convince myself to try it. It was nas-tee.

So the point of all this is that even though the food was great during dinner, all I can think about today was the nasty desserts that ended the meal. If the dessert is the last thing that you eat, that's going to stick in your mind, good or bad. Therefore, a good wedding cake is worth more than a good dessert, it's a way to end the evening on a high note, and to send your guests home with a good memory, instead of thinking about the nasty cake they ate one bite of and couldn't choke any more down.

Ironically, one person came up to me during dinenr and asked if I had brought a cake, because she wanted to see if she should save room for seconds on dessert! She was doing reconnaissance to see who had made the dessert before she decided how much to have during dinner. People do remember good cake, and they sure do remember bad! Yugh...

48 replies
Necey Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 49

Wow, I had a similiar experience last week. My husband and I went out to our favorite chinese buffet. There were over 25 different desserts, most of a cake variation. I took 4 pieces . One was topped with an apricot glaze, one with strawbwrries n cream mixture, one a chocolate swirly mousse filled tart and last but not least, one said, coconut cream . I cannot for the life of me figure out where anyone would buy / make what those desserts tasted like. I mean, what would I ask for? ..My list would have to look like this : Two pounds of cardboard, 10 cups of sawdust, sometything sticky that was red and white in color and one large bottle of 'flavouring' that has no taste whatsoever !..and to add insult to injury, it wasn't hard to tell that ecerything had been frozen previously . I sure feel differently about my own cakes now. icon_lol.gif

JGMB Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 49

Last year, while on vacation down south, we ate at an award-winning BBQ place. I ordered pecan pie for dessert, and the waitress kind of leaned in and divulged, "You know, it's frozen Sara Lee." I couldn't believe it!!

So, when I got home, I copied down my favorite pecan pie recipe and sent it to the restaurant, telling them that it was a travesty to top off an award-winning meal with a frozen, store-bought dessert. Especially in the south, where people LOVE their pecan pie.

They never responded -- they probably thought I was a crazy lady. icon_lol.gif

I do always wonder, though, if it at least got them thinking.

crazycaker Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 49

Oh -- you didn't know?

Thickened corn starch gel + red food coloring = cherry pie.
Thickened corn starch gel + yellow = lemon pie.
Thickened corn starch gel + brown = chocolate pie. icon_rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean, though... when they know you make a good dessert people will save room. It's a shame that a good restuarant would end a meal with frozen cardboard tarts.

indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Yeah, it got them thinking about how much more they'd have to raise their prices to cover the extra labor and time involved in making a pie from scratch as opposed to opening a box and putting it on a plate. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, you'd be surprised at the restaurant foods you THINK are made in the kitchen but actually come off of the Sysco truck and go from freezer to oven to plate in 20 minutes. Seriously.

I LUV watching the TV commercials for new foods being introduced at restaurants, because I'm sitting there thinking, "Oh yeah ... saw that at the food show!"

costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 49

[quote="indydebi"]

Quote:

I
Seriously, you'd be surprised at the restaurant foods you THINK are made in the kitchen but actually come off of the Sysco truck and go from freezer to oven to plate in 20 minutes. Seriously.

I LUV watching the TV commercials for new foods being introduced at restaurants, because I'm sitting there thinking, "Oh yeah ... saw that at the food show!"

I always assume that anything in those chain restaurants is straight off of the truck, but I'm sure that most people think there's actually a chef in the back making stuff from scratch. I love your story about you giving your sister a frozen box of her favorite "homemade" soup. One of my friends has a couple of teenage sons who work for one of those chains, and they say that the waitstaff takes turns waiting on tables and cooking the food...Lots of skill apparently involved in THAT kitchen!

My favorite commercial is the one for KFC, where the girl is saying "I'm the chef." Yeah, right! Does that mean that you're the one who works the microwave? icon_lol.gif

ccordes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 49

Ha, my husband pointed that out in the KFC commercials too. Although, I did see one where they changed it to cook, which seemed a little better to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

melodyscakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 49

I'd call the resteraunt and offer to make her desserts for her.
let her know the things you already mentioned here, that dessert tops off a fine meal, people remember dessert....why serve that with your fine food.

maybe this could become profitable for you?

melody

costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

I'd call the resteraunt and offer to make her desserts for her.
let her know the things you already mentioned here, that dessert tops off a fine meal, people remember dessert....why serve that with your fine food.

maybe this could become profitable for you?

melody

You know, I did wonder if I should say something, but I've had conversations with her in the past about how she buys her cookie doughs pre-made from Sysco, and how she can say "home-baked" but not "home-made" when she describes them to clients. She's all about cost-cutting, which is understandable.

She has staff who will do wedding cakes for clients if they have the reception there, but she also refers out to other people, including me. I think that it might be more profitable to just keep my mouth shut, let the clients taste her desserts at their tasting, then have them decide to get their cake off-premises! icon_twisted.gif

tinygoose Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 49

Ok, I'm going to brag. I know that's aweful, but I got the nicest compliment the other day on facebook from the bride of the last wedding cake I did. I loved this, and it felt so good. People really do remember.

Here it is:

"No cake? I tried to buy lemon muffins yesterday to bring back memories of your fabulous lemon cupcakes but one bite later the thought was dashed in the rain by the bad taste in my mouth!"

lovelytee Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 49

I am just a novice right now doing cakes and other treats for family and close friends. People tell me all the time to start my own business, but I am still trying to learn all that I can thanks to everyone here at CC. Anyway, my DH and I went to a fancy gathering and after the meal we were instructed to go to the dessert buffet. Yay, I thought they all looked delish. Wrong I tried three things s slice of chocolate cake, carrot cake and a giant cupcake. All I could do was.... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I have never in my life tasted such gross "sugar treats". I mean absolutely no flavor and the texture was like a dry biscuit.

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycaker

Oh -- you didn't know?

Thickened corn starch gel + red food coloring = cherry pie.
Thickened corn starch gel + yellow = lemon pie.
Thickened corn starch gel + brown = chocolate pie. icon_rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean, though... when they know you make a good dessert people will save room. It's a shame that a good restuarant would end a meal with frozen cardboard tarts.

Where oh WHERE is the little emoticon that is throwing up?!?!? icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Where oh WHERE is the little emoticon that is throwing up?!?!? icon_lol.gif

LL

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 49

Oh shoot...that's CUTE!!!! hahahahahaha!

DeeDelightful Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #15 of 49
Quote:

Last year, while on vacation down south, we ate at an award-winning BBQ place. I ordered pecan pie for dessert, and the waitress kind of leaned in and divulged, "You know, it's frozen Sara Lee." I couldn't believe it!!

So, when I got home, I copied down my favorite pecan pie recipe and sent it to the restaurant, telling them that it was a travesty to top off an award-winning meal with a frozen, store-bought dessert. Especially in the south, where people LOVE their pecan pie.

They never responded -- they probably thought I was a crazy lady. icon_lol.gif

No they are trying to figure out "how did she know that?" I do totally agree about good dessert. I consider myself a great cook, but for potlucks at work i will resign myself to do desserts every time, because people continue to bring those frozen pies and stale cakes from the grocery store. I can always find something on the potluck table that tastes pretty good, but i can't substitute for a bad dessert.

vickymacd Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 49

Sorry, I just had to pop on my soapbox here for a comment. I too don't like garbage desserts when that's the part of the 'meal' that we've all had to endure through a wedding, a banquet, a birthday paryty; a salespitch, etc. And then to have it taste like garbage is awful.
BUT, do you think we've all become dessert snobs? I mean, even if we aren't professionals (which I am not), but at least we know what tastes good. I can go to the above listed places and be served garbage dessert and have everyone ooh and ahhh it, while I'm graciously spitting it in my napkin.
I personally think some people are greatful to have a dessert if they don't bake; or dessert is dessert to them. So, I think I'm a dessert snob in that if I'm going to blow a ton of calories, please give me something worth packing the pounds on for!
Thank you, and I'll get off my soapbox now.

-Tubbs Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #17 of 49

My personal 'favourite' is when you pick a nice-looking pastry from a buffet, and all you can taste is 'fridge', so you know it was baked from frozen last Thursday and stored, uncovered, in the fridge since then. Yuk.

countrycakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Sorry, I just had to pop on my soapbox here for a comment. I too don't like garbage desserts when that's the part of the 'meal' that we've all had to endure through a wedding, a banquet, a birthday paryty; a salespitch, etc. And then to have it taste like garbage is awful.
BUT, do you think we've all become dessert snobs? I mean, even if we aren't professionals (which I am not), but at least we know what tastes good. I can go to the above listed places and be served garbage dessert and have everyone ooh and ahhh it, while I'm graciously spitting it in my napkin.
I personally think some people are greatful to have a dessert if they don't bake; or dessert is dessert to them. So, I think I'm a dessert snob in that if I'm going to blow a ton of calories, please give me something worth packing the pounds on for!
Thank you, and I'll get off my soapbox now.

I HAVE to respond to this! YES....I have become a dessert snob! icon_lol.gif When we do go out....I NEVER order dessert anytime at any food place. I just won't do it....I am constantly checking out the things that they have..and I just must confess. I am a snob. Period. thumbs_up.gif I have to agree with your entire post.....if I am gonna eat dessert, then I want it to be a dessert worth the calories and fat I am going to eat! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #19 of 49

My nose is in the air with all y'all snobs...and my pinky finger is in the air as I sip my tea! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding...coffee!

sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #20 of 49

OH but Jamie you could make a killing in Gian-ormous sheetcakes for those places... icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #21 of 49

I just threw up a little in my mouth Sad. Tsk tsk...don't tease me! icon_biggrin.gif

varika Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

My nose is in the air with all y'all snobs...and my pinky finger is in the air as I sip my tea! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding...coffee!

*SNRK*

I actually DO the pinky thing when I drink from a mug or cup with a handle. I always have--it's an automatic balance thing. But you'd be amazed how often I get people asking me, "Are you British or something?"

I agree, though. I'm a bit of a dessert snob. But I do kind of treat it like I treat Ragu--it's tasty (or I won't eat it), but it's not REAL dessert/pasta sauce. Sometimes, I guess, I just like to slum it a bit! icon_lol.gif

dabear Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

BUT, do you think we've all become dessert snobs? I mean, even if we aren't professionals (which I am not), but at least we know what tastes good. .

I would have to admit-I have become a dessert snob. It has to taste fantastic for me to use the calories to add inches to my hips! icon_biggrin.gif

DitzyDame Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #24 of 49

We actually don't go out very often because I guess were snobs right across the board. I'm a good cook as a whole and when I think of the prices that restaurants charge, and the fact that I can make it at home just as well, makes me determined to make it myself. We never order desserts! If we go to a buffet (in Las Vegas) I'll try the desserts. My husband gets embarrassed because I will take three or four samples and take a tiny taste just to see if it's worth it. It never is and I have six desserts sitting in the corner waiting for the garbage, lol!

Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #25 of 49

Dessert Snob here icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Another industry that I've noticed has really cut back on their desserts are the cruiselines.

We first cruised in 1996 on the then Majesty (which was bought by Norwegian). The desserts were AWESOME.

Over the years we've been on Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and each time we've gone the food has gotten worse.

The dessert buffet they put out at lunch taste like it's straight off of a Sysco truck thumbsdown.gif I used to look forward to taking 2 or 3 different things.

Last cruise we went on was in November and the desserts completely stunk up the place. icon_sad.gif

On a positive I didn't gain the usual 5lbs from over-eating! icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #26 of 49

Okay, back up on the soapbox again....

I work at a restaurant. I won't name it. I laugh when a meal/dessert comes out looking great and a guest says to compliment the 'chef'. Ha,, ha. I go back in the kitchen and compliment the MICROWAVE. Not all meals. But definately the desserts.
BUT I do have to admit, I'm a whipped cream horror! Ha,ha. I put whipped cream on every dessert to improve it. Managers used to have a fit for the 'food cost'. Umm, you microwave this dessert and there isn't enough whipped cream in the world to fix the taste!

I go home and 'improve' on what we serve by making it 'homemade', bring it into work and everyone raves about it. Servers do 'taste tests' and then realize what crap restaurants serve most times. Not all. But the point is, when you've had good desserts, you know the difference. When you're used to just so-so desserts, you don't know any better.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitzyDame

We actually don't go out very often because I guess were snobs right across the board. I'm a good cook as a whole and when I think of the prices that restaurants charge, and the fact that I can make it at home just as well, makes me determined to make it myself. We never order desserts! If we go to a buffet (in Las Vegas) I'll try the desserts. My husband gets embarrassed because I will take three or four samples and take a tiny taste just to see if it's worth it. It never is and I have six desserts sitting in the corner waiting for the garbage, lol!

We're like that too...never go out to eat because everything that I make at home is so much better than the restaurants.

Except for Chinese buffets icon_biggrin.gif and we never eat the dessert either.

CakeForte Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #28 of 49

This reminds me of when I was a planner at a major hotel resort and the brides would just RAVE over the appetizers and how good they were.

In my head I'm thinking the "chef" that went to culinary school just slaved over those by ripping the plastic wrapping off and throwing them on a cookie sheet to bake. Then we charge you $4 a piece. ummm hmmmm...delicious.

Those commission checks were very nice though....lol.

Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #29 of 49

Well, I hate cooking so much that I'll eat just about anything I don't have to cook myself. HOWEVER, I'm definitely a dessert snob. I just don't want to waste calories on something that is so-so.

I think a lot of people just prefer quantity over quality. Serving sizes in the U.S. have gotten larger and larger and some people think they've been stiffed if they get a small, exquisite dessert made from the best ingredients that they still hork down in two bites. They prefer the six inch high slab of ice cream cake you get at Red Robin, which I have to admit looks pretty tasty, but the serving size is simply obscene. That thing should serve a family of 6!

Curtsmin24 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:36am
post #30 of 49

Add me to the list as well. I can't stand it. I know that it's because they are trying to cut costs but it really sucks when you go somewhere and pay almost $40 a person and the desert tastes like cardboard. They look amazing and then it tastes gross. I was discussing the pricing thing with my husband earlier and I was explaining the frozen cakes that most supermarkets buy and the shortening (not high ratio) based frostings that leave the film behind. Debi's is the only one that I can eat!! (don't kill me please) We agreed that cooked frostings can be a little more time consuming but the texture definitly sets itself apart. I have made him specialty deserts and after calculating time and cost of materials I tell him why some people refuse to pay for good food and he laughs and says "honey unfortunatly some people are just getting too comfortable with getting things faster and cheaper than things with better quality that cost more"

I tried to explain it to my mom like this, when you go to walmart and buy a 30.00 dvd player and it's broken 6 months later, you go and buy another one. That's 60.00 you just spent on something useless. I bought mine for 150.00 and have had it for 6 years and it's still brand new. So where did I go wrong?

I know it has nothing to do with cake but at the same time it does. If you want people to remember your stuff pay a little extra and you will be remembered. Why else would companies like Sony and apple have been in business for years?...because there stuff lasted longer and people remembered that. If these restaurants took the time to make desserts than they wouldn't have to dispose of so much food and they would have repeat customers. Sorry for rambling. It just saddens me to finish a good meal with cardboard. I want the good stuff. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%