Why Am I Reading About So Many Cakes Colapsing?

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm by LoriMc

Sweet_Toof Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:13am
post #1 of 5

I've just spent tonight looking through the "cake disasters" photo gallery. I've seen quite a number of cakes that have colapsed, mainly the teared ones. I've never made a tear cake before and want to take every precaution I can to ensure that I don't end up posting photos in there too! They look so heart-breaking.
How easily can this happen?
Why is it happening? Even when they have said they've used dowls etc. Is it the wrong type of cake?

On another note, I commented on a few of the photos. Why is there no option for CC to notify me when there's been another comment? (sometimes people ask questions)

4 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:25am
post #2 of 5

Wish i could answer this for you chucks, but sometimes thats just how the game goes. Ive only made one tiered cake which was dowled and supported properly, and it was wonderful, nothing went wrong. sometimes accidents happen unfortunately and your right, it IS heartbreaking.

Elise87 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:46am
post #3 of 5

yeh when you comment on someone elses photos there is no notification when other people also comment. But when you ask them a question hopefully they will pm you with the answer or atleast ask them too. That is what i do if someone asks me a question on my photo, i pm the answer cose i know they prob won't know i answered it if i post it as a comment

brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 5

the problem here is clear - you were looking at the disaster gallery! take a look at the new pictures - some days there are 100s added, and the vast majority are problem free (or at least appear so, lol).
just support your cake properly, transport it safely, use the appropriate types of icing/ cake, and you will hopefully be fine.
if you want to keep track of cake coments, either add it to your fav pictures, or save it into your browsers faves. most replies to questions are done by pm though, so you could just send a nice polite pm instead.

LoriMc Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

I had my first cake fall apart this spring. Luckily it was a client I had made at least 10 cakes for before. They were honest enough to tell me that they had left it in their hot car for way too long. Also it was a cake that I had used Whimsical Bakehouse buttercream on...not my regular buttercream.

You need to make sure you tell people the cake needs to sit level in an air conditioned car. Also, make sure you are doweling it correctly, or look into the SPS stacking stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%