Pearl Dust On Fondant Pearls

Decorating By gerripje Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm by bakingatthebeach

gerripje  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:49am
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am hand rolling some fondant pearls. When I put them in a container and swirl them around in the pearl dust, it doesn't stick to them very well. I'm using Wilton white pearl dust. I let them dry a little before I put them in a container, and they look great until I pick them up! All the dust ends up on my fingers. Am I missing a step here somewhere or is that just the way it is and you need to be careful? Thank you!!

6 replies
 cakequeen50  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 7

I don't usually let them dry very long. Maybe that is why or maybe the Wilton dust, never used that one.
try with some fairly fresh ones.

gerripje  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #3 of 7

I'll do that, I have read that the Wilton dusts are just not that good. I have CK dusts too, but since I have to order them online, I never use them. LOL I guess there's no point of having them if I don't intend on using them!

Renaejrk  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:10am
post #4 of 7

I've never used Wilton - but I've made the pearls with other dusts - I only let them dry a little so they wouldn't squish in my fingers when I picked them up! When I did handle them I did get dust all over my fingers, but there was still plenty on the pearls! HTH!

idjitmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:53am
post #5 of 7

It is the Wilton dust, that just won't give you the pearl luster, it really is just more of a light sparkle..

Loucinda  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:56am
post #6 of 7

The PP are all correct - it isn't you - it is the dust you are using.

bakingatthebeach  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 7

I tried to use Wilton pearl dust, wasnt very happy with it. I use the CK super pearl dust. I do however use the Wilton Pearl dusts for my seashells and coloring some of my gumpaste flowers and it works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%