Cake Covered With Silver Dusts.... ?

Decorating By vanz Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 3:35am by KawaiiCakeCook

vanz Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 9

I got a request for a three-tiered cake covered with silver dust with white dots. How can I paint silver the entire cake the fast way?

Also, how can I pipe dots with equal spaces on the side of the cake? is there a pattern for this?

8 replies
vanz Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 9

cakequeen50 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 9

do you have an airgun?
I mix dust with grain alcohol and spray it on. I don't care for the pre-made, doesn't shine enough for me.

there is a dot press, I don't know where to get one, I think Earlene's.
I always do the 3 2 3 2 in vertical rows and they work out pretty well.

icer101 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:03am
post #4 of 9

there are impression mats out with the dots. earlene moore sells some.. other cake decorating places have them.there are beautiful silver , gold, and pearl sprays by known brand names. try them, you will love them .. mike terry shows this using the americolor sprays at the convention. they are also beautiful on buttercream decorated caks.the cakes have beautful sheen to them..

Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #5 of 9

The pearl color is the one that is so pretty - americolor now sells an entire set of "sheen" airbrush colors - they all have the pearl already in them!

kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 9

To get a real silver color one must use Silver Highlighter dust - which is NOT edible - unless ALL of the silver painted fondant is removed before serving. Please inform your customer of this.
Yes, it is non-toxic......but here in the U.S. it has not been approved for food use.
It is best done with an airbrush and the 'paint' can be purchased ready to use - I *think* from Global Sugar Art. If not, try CalJava.

artscallion Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 9

If you don't have an airbrush, try lustre spray pearl. I just got some for a cake I'm doing. It gives a good shiny shimmer. But it's like spraying with spray paint; you have to do it carefully or it's uneven.

It worked best when I put the cake on my turntable, held the can a good arms length away and sprayed straight ahead as I spun the turntable, so it got a continuous, gentle covering. I repeated until it had the right level of shine. I came out beautifully!

vanz Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #8 of 9

thanks for your replies, i will check the local suppliers if they have the things that I need.

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #9 of 9

I LOVE Americolor sheens!!!! Love them!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%