Filling Kept In Fridge?

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm by Amymnn

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 5

This has probably been asked before, but I typed in a search and nothing came up -

With some of the filling recipes, especially those with dairy products, do I have to refridgerate my cake? Some of the bigger three-tier cakes I don't have room for in my fridge once assembled. Are there certain fillings I should avoid if the cake will be left out or delivered early and sitting out at the event?

Thanks so much for your help with this icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:29am
post #2 of 5

I'm not really sure what the rules are for this, but I try to do mine as last minute as I can, and refrigerate as much as possible. I don't have much room either, which is why I don't do many large cakes. I'm sure there's a time limit, and if you can avoid some things that can spoil I'm sure it's a good idea. I've also thought about seeing if my church would let me store some filled and covered cake in their big fridge! lol

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:59am
post #3 of 5

Hi, yeah with dairy products it gets a little tricky, especially things likes mousses with heavy cream, they really can't stay out of the fridge for very long, only the time to be eaten, that's all.
If you want to make sure that your fillings are okay, just use the SMBC or IMBC with egg whites that are pasteurized or eggwhite powder (meringue powder) or go for the ganache. Despite the fact that the ganache contains heavy cream, the huge amount of chocolate in it preserves it pretty well.

And just do as Renaejrk says, keep them als long as possible in the fridge and stack them and deliver them icon_wink.gif

Good luck!!
Lara

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 5

According to the Health Dept Safe-Serve course I had to take the *total* amount of time it can be left unrefrigerated is 4 hours. This includes the time you work on the cake and the time it is displayed at an event.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for posting this info for me, this helps so much. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%