How To Make Rose Swirl On Cupcakes???

Baking By meredith1851 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm by Lita829

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 24

I have been looking all over the internet and can't seem to figure out how to make the rose swirl effect on cupcakes. I have used tip 1M but that doesn't look like a rose. Any advise on how to get the rose effect and direction on how to do so would be much appreciated. Thanks!

23 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 24

It's super-easy! icon_smile.gif

Use your 1M tip on a 90 degree angle, that's fine...BUT instead of starting from the outside edge and piping all the way in and upwards towards the centre, you start from the middle and pipe around all the way around to the outside edge. That gives it a rose-look.

I did them for Valentine's day and they looked like this pic I used as inspiration, not sure whose these are icon_confused.gif ...
LL

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 24

If you're more of a visual learner like me, here's a great Youtube video and a link to a previous thread with pics!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #4 of 24

Wow pretty picture, and thanks for asking that question gonna have to make some cuppy's and give it a try!

Caet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caet Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 24

I use a 2D tip and spiral from the inside out. They turn out beautiful and so elegant that no one believes how easy it is!

Have fun!

merrywood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merrywood Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:34am
post #6 of 24

Do you pipe in one continuous motion or one petal at a time which sounds very time-consuming?

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 24

I just bought this tip now I can't wait to try this. Unfortunately I made 5 dozen cupcakes and frosted them before seeing this thread so I guess I'll have to wait! I certainly don't need any more cupcakes right now! lol (I didn't make 5 dozen for us, it was for a picnic but I have some leftovers.)

Thanks for posting!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 24

Antonia74, your cuppies are beautiful icon_smile.gif Thanks for starting this thread, Meredith1851. I've always wondered how they achieve that beautiful rose look.

antonia74 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Antonia74, your cuppies are beautiful icon_smile.gif Thanks for starting this thread, Meredith1851. I've always wondered how they achieve that beautiful rose look.

Just to clarify what I'd said....that pic isn't mine, I used it for inspiration.
I've since found the member it belongs to, it's by Jammjenks! icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrywood

Do you pipe in one continuous motion or one petal at a time which sounds very time-consuming?

One continuous spiral.

Lita829 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 24

Sorry for the mistake, Antonia74...I must have been reading too fast. I can see why you were so impressed by the cuppies by Jammjenks icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 24

I am going to try this with the 1M tip - they are beautiful!

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

I just bought this tip now I can't wait to try this. Unfortunately I made 5 dozen cupcakes and frosted them before seeing this thread so I guess I'll have to wait! I certainly don't need any more cupcakes right now! lol (I didn't make 5 dozen for us, it was for a picnic but I have some leftovers.)

Thanks for posting!

If you haven't made them before and you just want to practice the technique, like I did, you can draw some circles (~2 1/2 inches) in wax paper and practice until you get it. But it is really straightforward and easy and you get beautiful results from a simple swirl just by starting from the center, I was amazed.

Good luck!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_m_mena

If you haven't made them before and you just want to practice the technique, like I did, you can draw some circles (~2 1/2 inches) in wax paper and practice until you get it. But it is really straightforward and easy and you get beautiful results from a simple swirl just by starting from the center, I was amazed.

Good luck!

Ooh! Good idea! I have some leftover frosting in the freezer that I can play with too! Thanks for the tip. icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #15 of 24

If you want to jazz your cupcake roses, pipe a rosette like they have said, however only go around two times, then pipe large petals using tip 125 or 104.
Dynee
LL

Lita829 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #16 of 24

Your cuppies are beautiful, dynee icon_smile.gif Thanks for the tip!!

Thanks for your tip. l_m_mena, also. Thats a good way to practice without having to fire up the oven...even though I love the baking part, too icon_smile.gif

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Thanks for your tip. l_m_mena, also. Thats a good way to practice without having to fire up the oven...even though I love the baking part, too icon_smile.gif

You're welcome. icon_biggrin.gif Just paying it forward and passing along what I've learned from fellow CC'ers. thumbs_up.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #18 of 24

Those were lovely! I like how such a simple tip can take them to the next level! I also liked how you did the two tone. Very pretty.

dynee Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks Fran,
It was one of those moments of inspiration. I did it because it SOOO much icing to do the whole swirl and I had 36 to do. I do the two-tone with the plastic wrap plug method. Never had any luck striping the bag.
Dynee

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #20 of 24

May I ask, what is the two-tone plastic wrap plug method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

Thanks Fran,
It was one of those moments of inspiration. I did it because it SOOO much icing to do the whole swirl and I had 36 to do. I do the two-tone with the plastic wrap plug method. Never had any luck striping the bag.
Dynee

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

May I ask, what is the two-tone plastic wrap plug method?

I think this is it ... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=588591&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Lita829 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #22 of 24

Thanks for sharing, mbt4955!!! I had heard of the plug method but couldn't quite visualize it.

dynee Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #23 of 24

Yes, that's the method. I do it a little different by wrapping it more like a cone by laying my plastic wrap over a corner of counteror table. I have a photo of a two-tone. You lay down the first color and then just add a row of the second color right next to the first color and then wrap. I havn't tried the knot at the end. That might keep it from moving down in the bag, but it pretty much stays where you put it and I usually have a twist-tie around the icing bag.
LL

Lita829 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks, dynee for the picture. It helps to visualize the two-tone method icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%