Castle Cake Towers - Getting Fondant To Stick

Decorating By Vicki77 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm by Peridot

Vicki77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vicki77 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 7

I'm making my first castle cake, and was planning on making the towers by wrapping paper towel rolls in fondant. I have read that many people make the towers this way. My question is what you use to get the fondant to stick to the paper towel rolls. Do you put buttercream on them?

Thanks in advance for the help!

6 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:14am
post #2 of 7

I've never done it before but I'd use a very thin layer of buttercream on them to help 'glue' the fondant on

islandgirl72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl72 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 7

I made the towers on the castle cake in my photos that way. The butter cream needs to be quite thin (did my first tower with it too thick and the fondant would not smooth out right).

Good luck! I am a newbie, but I would be happy to answer any other questions if I can be of any help.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 7

What I did that worked really well was rubbed shortening all over the paper towel roll and then applied the fondant - it worked beautifully. I've seen them do this at Pink Cake Box on their styrofoam turrets. That's where I got the idea. Good luck!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 7

I roll each tube with saran wraps really tightly.Then I roll out the fondant and lightly wet it so it will stick.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 7

i paint mine with a glue made from ps and water. i make it the consistancy of syrup and then paint it lightly. I use this to apply all of my fondant to fondant pieces. I also paint my buttercream after it has crusted to have the fondant stick. USE SPARINGLY though, you dont need much

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 7

I have often wondered that myself - some excellent ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%