What Is This Called?

Decorating By woodruffbn Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 1:55am by PinkZiab

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 9

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1362838

the top tier.. What is this called? And how do I do it? Is it an impression (like with a mat)?

8 replies
tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 9

You can use a square, its a tool that looks like a right triangle, to line it up. Than a knife or something to indent your line.

woodruffbn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 9

ok. thanks!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 9

You can also purchase an impression mat that will do it for you and make sure it's all lined up perfectly. It's super easy to use and works on fondant or buttercream. I got mine from CK products www . countrykitchensweetart . com take out the spaces.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 9

That is called quilting. I love doing this on cakes, but I am too cheap to buy an impression mat, so I make my own 4 x 3" right triangle out of heavy card stock, manila folder, whatever. Make marks around your cake's bottom edge every inch, inch and a half, or two inches (depending on how big you want your diamonds to be with a toothpick - I usually do 2 inch increments. Using the long, straight edge of your triangle, place the triangle at one of your toothpick marks. Mark the top edge of your cake where the paper triangle meets it. Use the slanted side of the paper triangle as a guide and connect the marks with a quilting tool. Once you get around the cake in one direction, flip the triangle over and make the cross-over lines.

Hope that makes sense and GOOD LUCK!
B

woodruffbn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 9

OH! FABULOUS! that's what I thought would be easiest. IDK if I would trust myself to do it the other way. icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:24am
post #7 of 9

I agree. I love love love my impression mat. and they only cost between $5-10.

woodruffbn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578

That is called quilting. I love doing this on cakes, but I am too cheap to buy an , so I make my own 4 x 3" right triangle out of heavy card stock, manila folder, whatever. Make marks around your cake's bottom edge every inch, inch and a half, or two inches (depending on how big you want your diamonds to be with a toothpick - I usually do 2 inch increments. Using the long, straight edge of your triangle, place the triangle at one of your toothpick marks. Mark the top edge of your cake where the paper triangle meets it. Use the slanted side of the paper triangle as a guide and connect the marks with a quilting tool. Once you get around the cake in one direction, flip the triangle over and make the cross-over lines.

B

you explain well! That sounds a little easier. And you actually use a quilting tool? Like my grandmother used to knit? LOL

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578

That is called quilting. I love doing this on cakes, but I am too cheap to buy an , so I make my own 4 x 3" right triangle out of heavy card stock, manila folder, whatever. Make marks around your cake's bottom edge every inch, inch and a half, or two inches (depending on how big you want your diamonds to be with a toothpick - I usually do 2 inch increments. Using the long, straight edge of your triangle, place the triangle at one of your toothpick marks. Mark the top edge of your cake where the paper triangle meets it. Use the slanted side of the paper triangle as a guide and connect the marks with a quilting tool. Once you get around the cake in one direction, flip the triangle over and make the cross-over lines.

B

This is how I do it as well. I prefer this because I can make the pattern as open or closed as I want without having to buy multiple mats, and it's also easier when you want to only quilt one section (like an inset), and if you measure correctly, there are no issues with the pattern not matching up in back (I have ocd about the back of the cake looking as good as the front)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%