Fbct Help With Lines In Frosting

Decorating By KathyTW Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm by CHoxie

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 6

Please help.

I am posting another CC member's photo that I just notice on the main page - mommapaul3 I hope you don't mind. I didn't take a picture of my FBCTs before I doctored them and her picture shows exactly my situation.

I've only done two FBCTs and they both have the lines in the filled area, see Mickey's red pants and shoes where you can tell where the frosting was added. Is this because our frosting is too thick? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you can give!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1389937.html

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 6

Yes i would say that the icing is too thick.

What i do is if i have any of these lines after i flip on to the cake, i let the icing come to room temp and let it crust (of course this is only going to work if you use a crusting icing) then i lay a piece of viva paper towel over the picture and gently smooth out any imperfections.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

I smooth mine with a VIVA from the back after it has crusted but before I out it in the freezer. If you use plexiglass (clear plastic) you can look at your image and see how it looks.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

THIN down that icing! And when I do mine, I use more of a motion that you would use doing a star tipped decoration instead of a back and forth motion. I never pick my tip up out of the icing and just use a steady pressure kind of 'dotting' like you would do with a star tip, so I guess technically it's almost a 'flooding' thing that I do to fill in my FBCTs. Good luck!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone!!! I have a few to do tomorrow - we'll see what happens.

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 6

When I do mine, I heat the icing a little and basically pour the areas to be filled. Had problems with the lines before, but pouring seems to solve the problem. The icing sets up just fine. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%