Some People!! (Long)

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm by smoore

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 29

I just cant believe some people!

A girl I went to school with her mom is getting married and asked if i could maybe do her wedding cake. So i go over to her house and sketch out what she wants for a cake (a three tiered 10",8",6" round cake all fondant with probablly about 100 small flowers all over the cake), i told her that I havent done anything this big yet, but that i was confident that i would be able to do it.

Anyways...today i call her to set up a time to bring a sample of the cake for her to taste over and to let her know the price of the cake.
I told her that the final cost would be 300.00 (which i think is still low) and then she ask's me if that was just for the materials, i say "no that is including the labour for the cake".
She the proceeds to tell me that she just thought I wouldnt charge her anything for labour because i am still fairly new to cake decorating!
WTF like I am going to spend that much time on a cake and do it for nothing!

Jesh!
Sorry that was so long, but I just had to vent a little!

28 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

.....just thought I wouldnt charge her anything for labour because i am still fairly new to cake decorating!

Me (folding arms across my chest, tilt head to one side and looking perplexed): Gosh, why would you think that? (then stand there staring her down while she stammers a stupid to which I respond) Huh. Why would you think that?

But I tend to take the smart-a$$ approach to things! icon_twisted.gif

SJ169 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 29

hahaha thats pretty much exactly what i said! minus the "huh why would you think that" lol
I like to be a smart a$$ to!
I mean yes I am new but i think my cakes a pretty good for only starting this like 3months ago and even if im new why would i work that long for free??
Silly people!!
Thanks indydebi you made me laugh at my desk icon_smile.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 29

Well nothing in life is free. If that too much money sent her hopping to a bakery and lets see how much they charge her for a 3 tier cake with 100 flowers.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 29

Tell her to mow the lawn for you.

SJ169 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 29

I felt like saying..if you go to a "professional" they are going to charge you a whole lot more then that (but i kept my mouth shut).

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 29

Are you still making the cake???!!!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Tell her to mow the lawn for you.

Do dishes....weed the garden....wash the cars....watch the kids...clean the house...make dinner...the MAYBE she might pay off the cake!!!

SJ169 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 29

lol im not sure..she said she had to talk to her husband to be..and that she was going to talk to another cake decorator and see (the wedding is in a month and a half) i know alot of people in this area are already booked.
she still wants to me to bring a slice for a sample tho! jesh!

SJ169 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

Do dishes....weed the garden....wash the cars....watch the kids...clean the house...make dinner...the MAYBE she might pay off the cake!!!

EXACTLY! however i dont have kids her to watch and i wouldnt trust her with my baby (my little puppy)

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 29

bring a sample alright... one that tasts like crap. burn it if you have to. Because by then she will have talked to other decorators and found out what a bargain she had in you first. If you want to be really sneaky, after she's just flabergasted over the burnt crappy stuff, whip out the real deal delicious one and let her tast that... Say, 'Just Kidding".... but now isn't it a shame, i'm already booked. Be really nice about it though. LOL LOL LOL Then come back and tell us all about it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

I felt like saying..if you go to a "professional" they are going to charge you a whole lot more then that (but i kept my mouth shut).

You should say that to her. In fact, you should look up some custom local businesses and price them out and then hand it to her and say, see, I really am giving you a deal. thumbs_up.gif

SJ169 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

whip out the real deal delicious one and let her tast that... Say, 'Just Kidding".... but now isn't it a shame, i'm already booked. Be really nice about it though. LOL LOL LOL Then come back and tell us all about it.

hahahaha omg that would make me feel soo good!!

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #14 of 29

whereabouts in BC do you live? There are a lot of bakeries that would charge a lot more than that for a wedding cake with 100 flowers on it. I'm assuming that they are gumpaste? I would do it, but I'd charge her an extra PITA charge and say sorry I had to raise my price due to the economy, lol!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #15 of 29

So she's waiting a month and a half before the wedding to order the cake? You just know she's gonna wait for 2 more weeks, then come back and ask you to do it. If she did that I'd say, "Aw, gee....I'm sorry - I'm now booked for that weekend." If they don't have anymore courtesy than to order a cake in a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't do it. But that's just me. icon_razz.gif

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #16 of 29

I don't think that's an unreasonable price at all! I agree that it may even be too low. I am still trying to get out of the "for cost" phase and I've been doing cakes for years. Only recently I started charging labor though. For that much work and time making all those flowers I'd say she's getting a deal at $500! I'd tack on another minimum $50 short notice fee as well! Best of luck to ya!!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #17 of 29
Quote:

she just thought I wouldnt charge her anything for labour because i am still fairly new to cake decorating!

Do you think if I went to a newly opened plastic surgeon I could get my boob job for just "parts"? How much can 2 ziploc baggies full of salt water really cost? They are just starting out ....

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Quote:

she just thought I wouldnt charge her anything for labour because i am still fairly new to cake decorating!

Do you think if I went to a newly opened plastic surgeon I could get my boob job for just "parts"? How much can 2 ziploc baggies full of salt water really cost? They are just starting out ....

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I think thats the response needed. So true!

blondeez Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Quote:

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I think thats the response needed. So true!

blondeez Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:11am
post #20 of 29

Sorry for the double post. I dont know whats going on with this dang computer but I know for a fact I didnt press the submit button twice.

SJ169 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #21 of 29

Hey JulyMama I am in Maple Ridge, and I know that lots of other bakeries would charge alot more for the cake (i dont think the bride relizes how expensive some wedding cakes are)
Some people just have no clue!! or just play stupid!!

Quote:
Quote:

yourstrulytx wrote:
SJ169 wrote:

OMG that is fricken hilarious!!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:34am
post #22 of 29

Well if you decide to go ahead and do the cake after this crap then I would make sure you are paid in full with cash before you even start the cake. People like her are just looking for something for free and if she paid by check she could cancel it at the last minute. Yeah I think I would be booked too.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:50am
post #23 of 29

Only work for nice people. That's my new rule this year. The rest can pay more for a "professional". Tell them you're booked, sorry.

SJ169 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #24 of 29

I agree with the only working for NICE people! LOL soo she called me this morning to apologize and agree'd to pay what I had asked! (i think she called around to some other baker's and relized most other people are booked and much more expensive!)

Quote:
Quote:

I would make sure you are paid in full with cash before you even start the cake

Oh dont worry! I told her I needed a 50% deposit this week (which is when i will bring her a sample of the cake) and the rest of the money a week before the wedding.

Thanks everyone for the comments! LOL it made me feel alot more confident in how to approach people like this!!
Love ya! icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Quote:

.....just thought I wouldnt charge her anything for labour because i am still fairly new to cake decorating!

Me (folding arms across my chest, tilt head to one side and looking perplexed): Gosh, why would you think that? (then stand there staring her down while she stammers a stupid to which I respond) Huh. Why would you think that?

But I tend to take the smart-a$$ approach to things! icon_twisted.gif

I'd give up my KA to have debi's quick wit and smart a** gene! You crack me up!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #26 of 29

omg, another one!! another person who thinks they are doing YOU a favour by allowing you to make their cake. what planet are these people on?? im still reeling from receiving a £30 gift token for Tescos in payment of the two tier disco ball cake in my profile "for my ingredients" from a mum of a friend who obviously took it that i was doing her cake for free - Grrrrrrrrrr

tbh i WOULD probably do the cake to get the experient BUT for the full amount - no cheaper. they have to pay someone for a cake so that might as well be you.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #27 of 29

Style Junkie, is that you from GR?

SJ169 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

tbh i WOULD probably do the cake to get the experient BUT for the full amount - no cheaper. they have to pay someone for a cake so that might as well be you.

Ya i really want to do the cake because i havent done anything like that and i really want the experiance! but i told her there was no away that i would work for that long for free

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

omg, another one!! another person who thinks they are doing YOU a favour by allowing you to make their cake. what planet are these people on?? im still reeling from receiving a £30 gift token for Tescos in payment of the two tier disco ball cake in my profile "for my ingredients" from a mum of a friend who obviously took it that i was doing her cake for free - Grrrrrrrrrr

Don't forget, though, about the referrals -- there will be a lot of people there that they know that could bring more business to you!!!!! (What they fail to mention is that all of their friends are just as bad as them looking for something for nothing and will take advantage of the fact that you're not "experienced." -- Gee, thanks for nothing!). I'm with everyone else .... this is my price. My price already factors in that I'm not Duff, Kerry V. or any of the other professionals they know, so I don't have to make any additional discounts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%