Wire Gauge For Cakes - What Is Best?

Decorating By katherinem Updated 7 Apr 2013 , 10:11pm by casamama

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 16

18, 20, 24, 28, 30

What is the best size to use for cake decorating. I've used some before for stars coming out of the cake, etc. but for the life of me I can't remember which one i used.

Any help would be appreciated as always.

15 replies
tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 16

Isn't it the higher the number the thinner the gauge. I thought 22 is best but I didn't see that listed. 20 or 24 perhaps....are you using it for stars again?

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #3 of 16

I like 18. It will hold up the fondant with out flopping over.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 16

depends eintirely on the object an the look you want, anything between a 16 and 24 usually - ones as thin as a 30 are usually for sugar flowers.
xx

katherinem Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 16

For now i'm just going to be using it for having the hearts and stars on a few different cakes.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 16

I always get confused when it comes to the gauge numbers. You would think the higher the number the thicker the wire.

katherinem Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 16

So would an 18 be strong enough to hold the fondant and still not fall or would i need something thinner? I'm getting the one that are already wrapped in the white or green - I don't like sticking metal in a cake

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 16

I like 20 - it is sturdy enough and it still gives movement without bending too much.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 16

I like 20 for my normal flowers and 22 for small ones like stephanotis, etc.

Buy coffee stirrers. They are absolutley perfect for sticking wires into cakes. Do you really want to stick fabric into a cake that isn't food-safe? Plus by cutting the wire to size, you've exposed the wire to the cake.

katherinem Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 16

these are food safe - the ones i'm buying are from a cake supply store and are specifically made for cakes.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 16

I've never used coffee stirrers before. Do you just stick the stirrer into the cake then put the wire into the stirrer? Wouldn't the end of the wire still be sticking out of the cake?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 16

an 18 would be strong enough, its pretty thick, but if your hearts are really heavy, it will still bend. but most of those sorts of shapes are pretty thin an light, so it should stay straight!
xx

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

I've never used coffee stirrers before. Do you just stick the stirrer into the cake then put the wire into the stirrer? Wouldn't the end of the wire still be sticking out of the cake?

Nope. I usually trim my wire down and the coffee stirrer depending on where I want it. Put the wire in the stirrer and stick it in just like usual.

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 16

On Ace Of cakes they use 16. They're great at what they do so i guess u can give it a try.

amkswifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amkswifey Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 16

I was curious if any of you were able to share a site of a supply store which we can purchase this wire.?? thank you and much appreciated

casamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%