Can We Talk About Fondant? Commercial Vs Homemeade

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 4:24am by Kitagrl

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 31

I've seen many comments lately about Satin Ice not working as well as it has in the past. I was just about to buy a big tub but recent posts have given me pause. How many of you have had problems with it?

Is there a better commercial brand?

I've also looked at Michele Foster's recipe after all the rave reviews. How does that stack up to other commerical brands? MMF killed my first KA so I'm never making it again. icon_mad.gif Blasted marshmellows. icon_cry.gif Are there other from scratch recipes that are fairly easy and great to work with?

TIA

30 replies
hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 31

I recently ordered vanilla and chocolate satin ice 20 lb buckets and have had no issues. It has been so easy to work with and I haven't had any problems with cracking. I will stick with satin ice!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 31

I have only used MMF. I dont use a mixer at all. I melt the marshmallows, mix in most of the powdered sugar with a spoon, and knead in the rest. Extremely easy icon_smile.gif. Wear gloves though lol.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 31

I used to use MMF; then, I got lazy!! icon_lol.gif I now use a brand called Fondx and it is great!! I get it from a local supply store, but I think you can buy it from Caljava online!!

HTH

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 31

I make MMF in my big corningware baking dish - it doesn't leave the pan until it is finished. I melt the marshmallows, add sugar, stir, add sugar, knead ... all in the baking dish. Nothing could be easier than that. icon_smile.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 31

I have tried several different homemade recipies, (and at least 3 different commercial types) and in my opinion, Michele Foster's is by far the best. I think it is blooming the gelatin in cream instead of water that makes the big difference. I'll never use anything else again!

MMF tastes fine (although I still think Michele Foster's is better) and is easier to make; my issue with it is that it is a little TOO "springy" -- after you smooth it on a cake, it seems to shrink up a bit resulting in imperfect coverage.

Just my opinion; I'm sure others think differently.

Bellatheball Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 31

^^ That was my experience as well. When my first batch of MMF killed/mutilated/murdered my KA (icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ) I thought this stuff had better be good. Mine was also too springy and tore easily. Everyone here does seem to love it but I'm not interested in repeating the murder...er, experience, with my new Professional Series Super Hero 600 KitchenAid.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 31

I'm never used homemade but am going to try it soon. I've heard that MFF is the best of the homemade ones. I have tried a couple of commercial brands and have stuck with Satin Ice.

I have used Satin Ice for several years and have not noticed any change at all in it nor heard any rumors that it has changed. I'm not sure where you heard that. It is very soft and stretchy but I think that is kind of what you need for a good fit to a cake without cracking.

I think with fondant, you have to get used to whatever kind you are working with. If you are used to a stiff fondant than Satin Ice will give you headaches but you get used to it with practice.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #9 of 31

It depends on how much you use. I know lots of people say that homemade is cheaper, but I use over 1000 lbs a year and can't imagine kneading all that homemade fondant. I'd have to schedule my massage therapist every other week instead of once a month.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:46am
post #10 of 31

I never use my mixer when I make mmf......knead it in the microwave safe bowl and then turn it out onto plastic mat with remaining sugar and knead it a bit there.......

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

It depends on how much you use. I know lots of people say that homemade is cheaper, but I use over 1000 lbs a year and can't imagine kneading all that homemade fondant. I'd have to schedule my massage therapist every other week instead of once a month.

I vote for the massages! icon_smile.gif

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 31

Yes i know people say to use your mixer when making MMF but i wouldn't recommend that path...i've tasted and tried every kind of fondant and always went back to mmf - no matter how many cakes i have to make i wouldn't put something on one of my cakes that i wouldn't eat myself and its not just me i have had numerous people taste test the different types of fondant and i'm sorry but all the store bought fondants do not taste good at all - they are why a lot of people shy away from fondant - the taste destroys everything else. i did try MFF but the taste is just like MMF and MFF calls for a lot of ingredients and it adds up very quickly - too expensive and a bit of a pain. so i always go with the tried and true MMF - everyone absolutely loves it.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 31

it all depends on how much fondant you use, if you use alot then continue to buy it but if you dont use as much, make it. i love michelle foster's fondant recipe. give it a try.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #14 of 31

Try Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. You have to get the dvd to get the recipe.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 31

I tried making Michele's fondant last weekend for the first time. It was easy and tasted great. The only problem is that it wasn't stretchy at all. When I was kneading and working it, and would fold it over, it would just break at the fold instead of stretch. I tried adding more glycerin per the instructions but still no luck. I ended up pretty much having to toss the whole batch and make a last minute change to buttercream and just used some of the fondant for decorations. I was so disappointed because it tasted so good and, like mentioned before, it wasn't cheap to make. I have another cake to cover in fondant this weekend and I think I'm going to just use MMF and hope for the best.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #16 of 31

I recently used Satin Ice for the first time and also made Michelle Foster's fondant for the first time. Both of them were very easy to work with and released from my Wilton mat very easily (I know there was a thread that talked about having problems with fondant releasing from the Wilton mats). I would prefer to make Michelle Foster's so that I can change the flavor even though the Satin Ice was tasty. Satin Ice will be my back up for when I don't have time to make the other.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #17 of 31

I love satin ice but it is much cheaper to make mff (I have had the same problems with mmf as stated above) though I find commercial made fondant easier to work with

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocakes

I tried making Michele's fondant last weekend for the first time. It was easy and tasted great. The only problem is that it wasn't stretchy at all. When I was kneading and working it, and would fold it over, it would just break at the fold instead of stretch. I tried adding more glycerin per the instructions but still no luck. I ended up pretty much having to toss the whole batch and make a last minute change to buttercream and just used some of the fondant for decorations. I was so disappointed because it tasted so good and, like mentioned before, it wasn't cheap to make. I have another cake to cover in fondant this weekend and I think I'm going to just use MMF and hope for the best.

Potatocakes, I had the same problem with Michele Foster's fondant - but I added more crisco instead of glycerin, and it was much easier to work with and to mix in my color. I ended up using a lot of crisco.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #19 of 31

I love MMF and use it all the time ( have never made it in my KA though...I think it would burn up the motor !), but have decided to try MFF's recipe this weekend. Recently I purchased a tub of Choco-pan which I LOVE...it's made with white chocolate and tastes so good ( but expensive !)

madgeowens Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #20 of 31

I have never added gycerin yet and it works great.....unless I don't let it sit over night....then it wont roll thin, and that was my fault

Bellatheball Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I'm never used homemade but am going to try it soon. I've heard that MFF is the best of the homemade ones. I have tried a couple of commercial brands and have stuck with .

I have used for several years and have not noticed any change at all in it nor heard any rumors that it has changed. I'm not sure where you heard that. It is very soft and stretchy but I think that is kind of what you need for a good fit to a cake without cracking.

I think with fondant, you have to get used to whatever kind you are working with. If you are used to a stiff fondant than will give you headaches but you get used to it with practice.

There are several comments on it in the Cake Disaster Forum.

Thanks everyone. Keep the opinions coming!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #22 of 31

Has anyone tried making MMF with chocolate marshmallows?

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #23 of 31

potatocakes- I tried making Michele's fondant last weekend for the first time. It was easy and tasted great. The only problem is that it wasn't stretchy at all. When I was kneading and working it, and would fold it over, it would just break at the fold instead of stretch. I tried adding more glycerin per the instructions but still no luck. I ended up pretty much having to toss the whole batch and make a last minute change to buttercream and just used some of the fondant for decorations. I was so disappointed because it tasted so good and, like mentioned before, it wasn't cheap to make. I have another cake to cover in fondant this weekend and I think I'm going to just use MMF and hope for the best.

I had the same trouble with my MFF, here's what worked for me. I microwaved it for a few seconds, then added alittle glycerin, I used crisco for kneading and rolling out and it was wonderful. worked great after that, a little bit more work but I think the taste is worth it, even the kids like it. thumbs_up.gif

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #24 of 31

Okay, you guys have convinced me to give it another try! I may try making it tonight so I have plenty of time for Plan B if it doesn't work out for my cake for Saturday! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #25 of 31

Make sure it sits and cures atleast over night.thats one big mistake I made when I did my car..........it was a wreck....any other time it sat a day or two and was great

ooh chocolate marshmallows I never knew there was such a thing...cooell

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I make MMF in my big corningware baking dish - it doesn't leave the pan until it is finished. I melt the marshmallows, add sugar, stir, add sugar, knead ... all in the baking dish. Nothing could be easier than that. icon_smile.gif

same here

madgeowens Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:25am
post #27 of 31

I will have to try that/thanks

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #28 of 31

Has anyone ever tried putting your mmf ingredients in a bread machine and letting it knead it for you?

madgeowens Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:16am
post #29 of 31

noooooooo its too much fun smooshing it by hand.............I love kneading

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:21am
post #30 of 31

I tried Satin Ice and loved it, I also tried Choco Pan but it was too soft, but I think that was due to the humidity and me kneading it a lot, I have sampled fonderific and love it the flavors are great, and you can buy samples from their site, but look around if you want to buy it other sites have it a little cheaper. I heard it is the best to work with but actually have not tried it, It is recommended by Duff Goldman and other Food Network Stars,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%