Buttercream And Heat

Business By leepat Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 1:49am by indydebi

leepat Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 11

What is the hottest you would let buttercream get? I have a cake for Saturday and the bride is wanting to put it outside against my better judgement.

10 replies
tiggy2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 11

If it has butter in it DON'T do it! If it's all shortening it may still be a risk depending on the temp. If she insists have her sign a waiver that you are not responsible for the cake once you set it up as you advised against having it outside.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 11

I used the all shortening (w/ meringue powder) for an outdoor wedding reception in July a couple of years ago. It held up really well--but I wouldn't try that w/ the BC recipes that call for butter. The ones I've made w/ butter in them just would not have been able to stand up to the heat.

(My mints for the wedding didn't hold up so well. I tried them as an experiment --being somewhat new, and trying to learn--but they slowly turned into little heart-shaped puddles.)

aliciag829 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 11

For my recipe, not over 74 degrees at the very hottest, which is basically a warm room. For your future reference, I have heard Indydebi's bc recipe holds up very well outdoors in the heat. If she does put it outside, I hope it's in a shady spot and not too hot. I would make her sign something saying you won't be responsible for any damage to the cake after it's set up. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

mbt4955 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 11

Try indydebi's buttercream. It doesn't use butter, but I've never had anyone turn their nose up at the taste and it does get eaten. Did an outdoor wedding a couple of weeks ago and we've been in the 90's for quite some time. I didn't stay for the wedding, but I know that the cake was outside for hours and the leftovers went home with icing intact! icon_smile.gif

ncdessertdiva Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 11

Did my daughter's wedding cake several years ago - at the beach in NC during August, early evening wedding. The BC frosting held up well. The cake was in the shade and it wasn't brought out until about dark but it was still hot, even then! My recipe uses shortening not butter. Everyone raved about how good the frosting was!!

Good luck!

CakeForte Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #7 of 11

It depends on if you use butter or shortening, although any wedding cake outside in the heat is taking a big risk.

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 11

The whipped cream buttercream (No cream in it) found in the recipe section here is heat stable.

cakesdivine Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 11

Once I switched to CK Hi-ratio shortening, my BC which does have butter and meringue in it can withstand up to 85 degrees without melting or borders falling off. When I used Crisco, anything over 72 was pushing it!

kellertur Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #10 of 11

I was wondering this same thing. I have a woman who wants a "reception" cake (wedding was a few months ago) outdoors in Aug. It gets quite humid here in Summer... I advised her about BC in outdoor heat (no butter in it), but she didn't seem to care. icon_confused.gif I'm trying to persuade her to go with fondant...

Has anyone ever used Sugarshack's recipe outdoors / high heat?

indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #11 of 11

My icing .... 90+ degrees .... outside for over 5 hours ... humidity so high it made you walk bent over.....not one HINT of melting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%