I Made It!!!!!!it's Starting To Sink In...

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm by Deb_

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 30

I know this is not cake-related, but I feel like everyone here is like a family to me, so what the heck!

I MADE IT INTO NURSING SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!! It is seriously soooooo hard to get into a program here. So many people try and try year after year, and don't make it.

But here I am, came here from Belize and found out that they wouldn't validate the education I got there! The only thing I could do to help myself was start cleaning houses for people and eventually started making cakes again (I did it in Belize too) after I had made enough money to start buying equipment. I didn't even have a spatula!

I also crochet so I made scarves to sell to make the money and kept turning it over and over. But all the while knowing that I need to get back to school and try to get into nursing no matter how many years it would take. But I would have to work in the day and go to school in the night. Prerequisites usually take two years that way and then with luck, you might be able to get it after your 3rd or 4th try. And you can only apply once a year!

Well, aplications were due in February, and I finished my prerequisites actually last fall (only took me 13/4 years to finish them) And so I thought OK, I'll apply this year at least just to get my name in there. What do you know! I got an interview! I went to the interview and found out that they had 628 applicants but could only take 80 students. So from that 628, they chose 150 to interview and then they would decided after the interview who would be a part of the 80. They did group interviews and there were 7 other people in mine. Of all of them I was the only one who was not already in the medical field. But I was also the only one who didn't brag about how good I am at everything! And then I got my letter from the school two weeks later saying I was one of the 80! I cried, I laughed, and I cried some more!

No more housecleaning!!!!!!!!!!! Just cakes and nursing. I'm not working during the program, but I will be making cakes always!

Thanks so much everyone, for being a community of people that I can come home after a disgusting day of housecleaning and just join to talk and read about the things I like best. And I will continue to do that during school, and after! Cakes are my first love, nursing the second. Already have the cake part covered, now its time to add the nursing. I can't believe I made it in my first try!

Moral of the story, don't give up! Push through every day, bad as it may get, with your sights on that goal. You will get there and then the bad days will be just a fading memory!

THANKS EVERYONE. CC SAVED MY SANITY ON SO MANY DIFFERENT OCCASIONS!

29 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 30

YEAH!! Congratulations!!

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 30

Congratulations! It sounds like you more than deserve it, though, with how hard you have worked! It's always good to see hardwork pay off! thumbs_up.gif

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 30

Congrats!!!!!!

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 30

Congratulations, what an honor.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 30

Congratulations, what an honor.

j_silva98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_silva98 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 30

Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 30

SharonK1973 congratulations, you deserve it.

jdrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdrew Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 30

Congrats!!!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 30

What a great story. You have worked hard and deserve the best. I looked at your cake pics and you have the caking part down pat for sure. I am sure you will do well in nursing too.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 30

Congrats thumbs_up.gif

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 30

Aaawwww!!!! Congratulations!!! I just got goose bumps from head to toe!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 30

Congratulations to you!! Perseverence surely pays off!!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 30

I'm SOOOO HAPPY for you! thumbs_up.gif You go girl!

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 30

WOO HOO!!! Yay for you, Congrats!

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 30

WOW! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yup, nursing is very hard to get into here too! I wish you the best! You have accomplished a lot and we have no doubt you will get that nursing degree with great grade! COngrats agaiN!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #17 of 30

Congrats to you!! It's tough here as well to get into nursing school, Ive had friends waiting for years!

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #18 of 30

That's great! Congratulations! I love it when hard work and perseverence pay off thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 30

Congratulationssssss!!!!! I'm proud of youuuu!!!!! wohooooo!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Nope, never ever, ever give up!!!! everything is possible in this life....

After divorce I went back to college and graduated from the Univ of Wa in 2006 with a Bachelor degree in accounting and finance (I double major) icon_smile.gif
But no, none of my schooling from Mexico was validated so I had to start from scratch. It was very hard since I was also going through a divorce and raising my kids plus I wanted to do the 4yrs of college in 3 years, and guess what? I did it!!!! icon_smile.gif

And, 'caking' is my hobby nowadays...I feel my cakes are not good enough to sell, icon_redface.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #20 of 30

Congratulations!! Way to go and I have faith that you'll do great in school.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Congratulationssssss!!!!! I'm proud of youuuu!!!!! wohooooo!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Nope, never ever, ever give up!!!! everything is possible in this life....

After divorce I went back to college and graduated from the Univ of Wa in 2006 with a Bachelor degree in accounting and finance (I double major) icon_smile.gif
But no, none of my schooling from Mexico was validated so I had to start from scratch. It was very hard since I was also going through a divorce and raising my kids plus I wanted to do the 4yrs of college in 3 years, and guess what? I did it!!!! icon_smile.gif

And, 'caking' is my hobby nowadays...I feel my cakes are not good enough to sell, icon_redface.gif

Rosie, I'm sooo proud of you too!!! And your cakes and cookies are adorable!!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #22 of 30

Congrats!!!

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:25am
post #23 of 30

Sharon- We have a lot in common. i'm a nurse who loves caking! Nursing school is hard- but it's not as hard or as bad as people make it out to be! I know as far as u have already came, U WILL DO GREAT! Congratulations!!

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:30am
post #24 of 30

Way to go...that's a huge accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself. Good Luck in Nursing School. thumbs_up.gif

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:32am
post #25 of 30

Congratulations to both Sharon and Rosie!!

Nikole

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #26 of 30

Congratulations! That is so exciting!!!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #27 of 30

Thank you Diane and Ncox!! I am glad I did it specially for my kids icon_smile.gif

Diane, I'm still in the learning curve but my cookies/cakes are improving...Caking is more fun than accounting!!! he,he icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #28 of 30

It's truly a shame that it's so hard to get into nursing school when there's such a nursing shortage! There's waiting lists here too. I've been a nurse for 10 yrs now, and I've never worked in a place that's been fully staffed.
Congrats on getting accepted! I won't lie to you, you'll have to do a lot of studying, but you can do it. There's a lot of info. crammed into such a short time period.
Best of luck! We need you!

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #29 of 30

Congratulations! Your story is a great learning experience. I wish you all the best in school. You will be a fantastic nurse I am sure.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #30 of 30

That's so awesome CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

One question............why would you ever want to leave beautiful Belize? icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

Best wishes in your studies!!
Deb thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%