Butterflies

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm by kathy777

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 11

so i saw a forum about these butterflies on cake connection and so i ordered them and got them.. Tried them last night and i don't think i did it right.. What is the water gelatin ratio? because mine today are dry but by no means did they come off the plastic.. Any help before sat june 13 will be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 11

Mine didn't pop off on their own either. Just started peeling them off with my fingernails. The ratio I sued was 2.5 water to 1 Knox. HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 11

Humidity may have something to do with them not popping off. Do you live where there is high humidity?

crazeyhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazeyhair Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 11

I found the same butterflies and fell in love with them (found them here on CC) and just made a bunch for a wedding I did a couple weeks ago. Can I tell you how much I was hating myself for even trying when I first started doing them. It took me almost a week to get them right, to find the right brush and to get the ration down to a smaller portion so I wasn't wasting so much in the end. I live in a very LOW humidity (it feels like negative humidity to me) and most of mine started to pull away from the page (or pop away because it would make the weirdest sound) but not all. Part of it is how thick you make them. The thicker they are the less likely they are to pull away, but if you make them too thin then you won't be able to peal them off with out tearing them. In the end, if they are dry and you can peal them off with out ripping them then no worries.

FYI - when handling them to cut them apart - make sure your hands are very dry all the time. The monarch butterflies are the hardest and most time consuming all around - but man are they beautiful in the end so don't get frustrated. If you are going to dust the edges with some sort of sparkle - I HIGHLY suggest disco dust from www.globalsugarart.com. On line they look kind of crazy and look totally the wrong color but trust me - I wish I would have done all of mine in different colors of disco dust. Don't use their mystical dust - it is too fine and there isn't enough sparkle. Also, if you do dip them - arm yourself with a damp cloth and a dry towel to wash your fingers between each wing - you will thank me in the end, I promise!

These are harder than they seem but man are they cool. The bride AND groom thought they were the coolest things ever!!! Good luck!!! Seriously - if you have any questions please let me know!!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 11

hi all, what do they look like thanks

kathy777 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you thank you thank you.. I must of done them wrong.. it is humid here rainy and humid lol but it was cool last night when i did them but maby the humidity was there.. I will try again i won't give up and thank you all who responded so quickly

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:25am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

hi all, what do they look like thanks

Checkout crazyhair's and my photos.....just click on the photo button under each of our posts

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #8 of 11

It took me a few times to get it right - I posted a pic of the brush I used but I got scolded and they took it down (it wasn't cake) I actually have the best luck with the 3:1 ratio - it is a bit thicker to start with. Humidity will play a part in the drying process, but it still works. I also paint each butterfly individually - not the whole sheet.

If you have any other questions, just ask! They really aren't that hard once you get the hang of it....they are so beautiful!!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 11

Hi all, i can hardly see the butterrly's are these made out of gelatin and is there a thread on how to make them. Thank you

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 11

Here you go - if you have any questions, just ask!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630413.html

kathy777 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you thank you.. That is great!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%