Viva Getting On My Nerves

Decorating By whitet4 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm by rushing

whitet4 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 25

Does anyone else hit or miss when you buy Viva. I bought a single and it was awfully bumpy, even after going to the middle. Then I decided to buy an 8 roll pack and they seemed smooth as ice. This has probably been talked about before, but just wanted to show the difference.
LL

24 replies
G_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 25

Wow big difference in the picture.

I dont use Viva I use parchment paper to smooth out BC find its better and I always have it on hand.

Beckalita Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 25

Or do like Sugarshack and go over it with a piece of typing paper....

Rosie2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 25

Exactly the same thing happened to me!!! I've bought the single rolls and they are NOT smooth at all!! I even started wondering why people like it icon_biggrin.gif
So, the 8 roll pack is better, huh?

hammer1 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #5 of 25

i tried using them and was disappointed, they left little dark fibers or something on the cake and we kept picking them off with toothpicks, this was frustrating.

Angfastic Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #6 of 25

I've been having a problem as well. The roll I had this weekend was awful and it came from a 8 pack. I hope the rest of the rolls aren't like that.

honeyscakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 25

icon_surprised.gif OMG!!! this is IRONIC!!! I bought Viva for the wedding cake I made this past weekend.and it was the single roll and it was BUMPY and grainy icon_sad.gif
This is weird icon_confused.gif I bought it in Dallas too. bad batch maybe...perhaps we should write to the company!

CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #8 of 25

I could never master the Viva method so I am pro-Melvira method now!!!
It's awesome and so easy and the rollers are reusable so you don't have to throw away a bunch of paper towels.
With that said I use Viva at home and I have noticed the single rolls are bumpy and more fiberous (if thats even a word..lol).
Sorry you had so much trouble icon_sad.gif

Rosie2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

I could never master the Viva method so I am pro-Melvira method now!!!
It's awesome and so easy and the rollers are reusable so you don't have to throw away a bunch of paper towels.
With that said I use Viva at home and I have noticed the single rolls are bumpy and more fiberous (if thats even a word..lol).
Sorry you had so much trouble icon_sad.gif

Ahhhh I've been wanting to try Melvira's method, but believe or not, I can't find the rollers that are perfect for that method icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I went to Home Depot and the rolls where either huge or very little...which ones did you get? where did you find them?
Also, is there an ideal buttercream recipe that works good with Melvira's method? if so, can anyone share it?
Ok, thanks a million!!!

sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 25

I have seen that also sometimes one side is smoother and then next rool it will be the other side. i haven't had any that i couldn't use yet. I do look over my towels before i get them and i treat them like precious bread so the ends don't get bunched up or smooshed...LOL people must think I am silly, but they have no idea.

luv2c_cultures Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 25

Can someone explain what Melvira's method is? Thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 25

Here's the link to Melvira's method http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html Just be sure you get the High Density rollers. I got mine at Lowes, 4" and 6" I think

e rose sweets Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 25

I use both methods on my cakes the viva and melvira for smoothness, however I have realized lately the single pack of viva towels are lumpy and I wasted so many trying to find a decent one to use. I don't think its a bad batch if everyone is expericing the same problems. icon_sad.gif

kyhendry Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 25

I'm SO stingy with my Viva rolls that I have resorted to hiding them in a closet in a spare bedroom so they don't accidentally get used for normal kitchen use. I feel a little like Golum..."My Precious Viva!!"

tarheelgirl Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 25

For the past 3 weeks I have looked and the Walmart shelves were bare where Viva usually sits. I was getting the same bumpy side on the paper towels too. Wonder if its a connection some how? I asked a clerk and she did not know why they had not had Viva.

e rose sweets Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 25

I hide mine also but the last couple of rolls I purchased weren't worth hiding, I guess I will get the 8 pk and hide them up in my room like xmas toys...lol icon_biggrin.gif

grammynan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #17 of 25

I use printer paper and it comes out even smoother than paper towel.

e rose sweets Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #18 of 25

do you mean regular white paper for printers? If that's the case I have tons of that I will try that tonight on my cake. Thanks for the info!!!!

Melchas Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 25

I have also had problems with little fibers, so I have stopped using the viva and gone to parchment paper, but I think I will try the Melvira method.[/url]

mellee Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #20 of 25

I did my first cake smoothing just last week and I used plain old white printer/typing/computer paper. It worked GREAT!!!!

e rose sweets Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #21 of 25

I used printer paper last night on my cake and I like the outcome better than the viva method, thanks for the tip!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #22 of 25

I've never used any method!! I am trying this for the first time, and I do have parchment AND printer paper!

My question is, when do I apply it? Do I wait until the frosting crusts? When I push, what do I use so my fingers/hand do not make impressions?

grammynan Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #23 of 25

Let the icing crust then lay the paper on the cake and very gently rub along the paper with your hand, back and forth and around and around. You'll see how it works once you get started. I was afraid to do it my first time, but now I do it all the time. It doesn't get smooth like fondant, but it takes a lot of the imperfections out.

I delivered a wedding cake last weekend and a man said, "there's not one wrinkle in that icing!" Boy, did that make me feel good!!

ninatat Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #24 of 25

If you can't find the roller, ask where the textured paint supplies are , it's paint that has a sand effect, they have them in that aisle to. by the way it's wonderful paint but plan on using 3 times as much as said, i used it in my tuscan dining room and loved it.

rushing Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #25 of 25

Yeah you have to wait til it crusts (not too much though). It's best to use one of those plastic fondant smoothers to rub on top of the paper- not your hand.

There was a thread not too long ago where other CC members had also noticed the quality of Viva paper towels had changed. I think it was more of a product change rather than a bad batch. Who knows

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%