I Need To Make Something Oozing Out Of A Cake

Decorating By mellormom Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm by feralynn

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 12

Not just looking like it oozed actually oozing. Is this possible? I wanted to make a moutain and have stuff oozing out.
Jen...

11 replies
bluedog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedog Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 12

I have done cherry pie filling (take the cherries out!) for blood oozing out of a halloween cake, but it sounds like you want more of a volcano effect?

For that use a mix of hot water and marshmallow fluff (and any color you want) add dry ice just before desired effect, and it will ooze out the top.

does that help?

mellormom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks!!! You can eat dry ice? Or does it vaoporize when mixed with the Fluff?
Jen...

bluedog Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 12

You cannot eat dry ice - it is too cold and will burn skin/mouth. But it will essentially evaporate as the reaction takes place.

I put a small glass in the center (carved a hole) of the wondermold pan. Larger than a shot glass, but not as big as a juice glass. Do a test run at home and you can see how fast it all oozes!

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 12

Like she said, you have to add the dry ice just before you want the effect so are you doing this for yourself or dropping it off? I did dry ice once... not sure I liked it well enough to do it again, but it is an awesome effect !

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 12

are you looking for it to continue to ooze? you could probably use a fish tank filter and a pump, it might work or something on that idea , you'd have to put the cake against a wall for the electric wires, avoid a disaster alter all that work.

mellormom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 12

It's for a friends son's b-day. I will be there so I can oversee the whole process. icon_smile.gif I like the dry ice idea! That will be perfect. I'll let you know how it turns out. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

bluedog Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 12

Make sure you have access to HOT HOT water. Otherwise the dry ice will freeze the fluff, and all you get is smoke. do some tests at home.

have fun.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 12

where do you buy dry ice?

mellormom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:19am
post #10 of 12

auntmamie, good question! Where do you buy it?
Jen...

bluedog Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 12

I guess it depends on where you live. I am able to get it at the grocery store. they have it in the butcher section. Relativey inexpensive and you only need a little bit.

I have a friend that lives in a very small town and she was unable to find any within a reasonable drive. Check with hardware stores, pharmacies, etc.

Good luck.

feralynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feralynn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 12

call companies that sell bagged ice. around here the company names are on the big coolers that hold the bagged ice or you can just look in the phone book. i got some to keep my brothers wedding cake cool until i had it set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%