How Is Pearl Dust Uses ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm by mbt4955

Mikel79 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All !!!

I am going to make some Gumpaste flowers. I was going to use just plain white gumpaste and use colored Pearl dusts. How do you apply these pearl dusts? Do I have to mix it with anything? Does it go on dry with a brush? Any tips is appreciated.

Thank you,

5 replies
hollyh Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 6

I would also like to know the best way to apply pearl dust. Thanks!

crystalina1977 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 6

you can use it dry or wet, mixed with a clear extract or clear alcohol. i have various sizes of paint brushes especially for luster dust (pearl dust etc) and depending on the effect I will either dry brush it on or paint it on. maybe practice with both and see which effect suits your needs best.

nancyg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 6

I use a big fluffy new make up brush for my pearl dust when just dusting a pretty coat on flowers or cakes. When painting a specific are example pearl stripe on a cake. I mix with vodka it is cheaper than extracts, and paint it on. Alcohol drys quick and leaves no taste. Do not paint with water it will stay sticky.

Hope this helps

crazeyhair Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 6

The best thing to do is to just sit down and have some fun with it. Things to remember - never use water, if you use it wet the color is very different than dry and if you are going to use it dry make sure you don't dust a flower while it is on the cake or you will have dust in places you didn't want. One thing about pearl dust or luster dust that is great - if you use it wet, once it is dry - you can touch it freely and don't have to worry about finger prints. Also, if you are doing soap bubbles or pearls - this is a great way to make them shine. I love pearl/luster dust!!! Very fun to use!

mbt4955 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 6

If you use it wet (I use vodka), the color is MUCH darker than dusting it dry. I normally do them dry, then hold them in the steam from a tea kettle. The steam sets the color and leaves a slight sheen. Be sure not to touch them after the steaming until they have had time to completely dry. You WILL take the color off where you touch the damp gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%