Aaargh!! Frustrated With Collapsing Cupcakes!

Baking By Caet Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm by Kiddiekakes

Caet Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 8

So far the only vanilla cupcakes I can manage to make consistently well are from a mix. Every time I attempt a scratch recipe (and I've tried a few) they seem to start getting brown and crunchy around the edges before the center gets done. It seems like this would be a problem with temperature (too high, I'm guessing), but I'm following the recipes' instructions.

Should I assume my oven temperature is not accurate and bake them at a lower temp? Or am I somehow making the batter too wet?

BTW, I don't seem to have this problem with chocolate cupcakes....

Help! I'm making cupcakes for my mother-in-law's wedding next month and I'd really like to have a reliable scratch recipe to use. Although I'll do a mix if I have to.

7 replies
Amy729 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 8

Get an oven thermometer and check to see how accurate your oven temp is. At least that is where I would start.
Good luck!

melvin01 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 8

How about using a doctored cake mix?

Does the scratch batter seem a lot thinner than a box mix?

pattycakesnj Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 8

I make everything from scratch and bake at 325 or less, never a proble but I fill cupcakes only 1/2 full

Caet Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:45am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help. I'll get a thermometer today and if the oven's okay I'll try a lower temp. I've done doctored mixes that come out great - I don't know why I'm so reluctant to use it for this.

Do any of you who sell your cakes/cupcakes use doctored mixes?

Melnick Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:52am
post #6 of 8

I don't know why, but this works for me. If I have a cake that I know will brown too fast, I put it on the bottom rack of the oven and then I put an oven tray (the one that you get with the oven that slides into the grooves) above it. Like I said, I don't know why it works, but it works for me!

Bluehue Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:54am
post #7 of 8

Caet - just a thought - is your Oven fan forced?
if so, once you get your Thermometer and see that your oven is running at the right temp - remember that a fan forced oven should be around 20C lower when baking alot of cakes compared to a non fan forced oven.

I was just thinking this when i read that your cuppies start to brown around the edges before the middle has time to cook.

As i said - it is just a thought -
Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 8

I would bake at a lower temperature for a few minutes longer.I also have a convection oven and I really notice the difference between convection at 325 and raw heat at 325 or 350.The raw heat burns them...convection lightly browns them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%