How Much To Charge?

Decorating By KDiPietro Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm by cylstrial

KDiPietro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KDiPietro Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 9

I was asked to quote a price for a 4 tier fondant cake....I live in the Chicagoland area.....is $400 in the ballpark?
LL

8 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 9

$400 doesn't seem like enough to me. That looks like a topsy turvey. How many slices?

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 9

Arent Topsy's much more expesnive than a std tiered cake?

cylstrial Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 9

TT's are definitely more. I know most people start TT's at $5/slice and go up from there. I mean there are lots of butterflies, pearls, and flowers on that cake, in addition to it being a TT.

cylstrial Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

I really think that you should be charging double that to be honest. Just to have an idea, I'm going to play that those are 6, 8, 10, and 12 rounds. So going by the Wilton Wedding serving guide that would yield 130 slices. If you charge $400, you would be charging about $3.07 per slice. I think you should charge $6.00 a slice. So that would be $780. Just my thoughts.

KDiPietro Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 9

I like your numbers much better...I came up with it only serving about 100 people and was going to charge $3 per serving plus $25 for delivery and setup. I can't tell if it's topsy turvy or not....

cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:26am
post #7 of 9

The bottom tier doesn't look like a TT, but the of the tiers all have a slight angle to them. Either that, or it was just starting to lean. Take your hand and cover up the bottom tier, and then it looks like a very angled TT.

So do $6/slice x 100 slices = $600 plus the $25 delivery fee. Or if you want, you can include the delivery fee in with the $600 and call it good.

Let us know what happens!

KDiPietro Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 9

You're absolutely right about covering the bottom tier.....thanks! You've all given great advice on this item and I appreciate all of your help. I'll let you know if she orders it or not and I'll post pics if I do make it.

cylstrial Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 9

No problem! I hope she orders from you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%