Tastings:do You Put Fondant On Cake?

Business By madras650 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm by Loucinda

madras650 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 9

I have my first tasting. I thought I would make a 6 inch filled cake with fondant. Too much work? Do I just give dry cake sample with some filling flavors on the side?
Advice?

8 replies
muddpuppy Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 9

I use those plastic disposable mini cupcake holders, like the use in the grocery store, I put in 6 flavours of cake, and six fillings and let the client go to town. The convienience of the disposible tray is there are no dishes to do, and the couple can take home the sample to share with family and or friends if they choose. I know it's not one of the most beautiful presentations, but I add a rice paper butterfly or a gumpast flower, to dress it up a little.. icon_wink.gif hth!

Debluvs2bake Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 9

I offer frosted cakes in my most popular flavors and little bits of fondant on the side to taste. I also have a small spoon full of any fillings I have already made. I don't decorate a cake, it's all about the cake, filling and frostings. I also ask the client ahead of time if there are certain flaovrs they are really interested in and I make sure I have those on hand.

APieceofCake75 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 9

I have a customer who is having a "rather large" baby shower. She wants to schedule a tasting. How much should I charge. Since I bake my cakes to order I want to make sure it's cost effective to bake her sample cakes. I never have anything extra in the freezer.

Debluvs2bake Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 9

I charge $30.00 for a tasting and I will apply $20.00 of this to the order IF received. Everytime I bake, I make a cupcake of that flavor batter to freeze for a future tasting. I rarely ever bake specifically for a tasting. I know many will think a frozen cake will jeopardize the sale, but I freeze cakes often, for carving or cuz I have extra batter, with no discernable change to taste or texture.

APieceofCake75 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much for the advice..

sambugjoebear Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 9

I give four flavors of cake, four fillings, my vanilla BC, and a small piece of fondant for each person to try. Three of the cake flavors are variations from the same batter-start with vanilla batter, separate into three parts, and add almond to one part and lemon juice/zest to another. Easy peasy icon_smile.gif

I also charge $20 for a tasting to cover costs. This is then applied to the final cost as a payment if they choose to use me as their baker. So far I've had positive feedback with this method. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

cylstrial Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 9

I have heard of people putting fondant onto the plate. But I haven't heard or seen anyone actually have it on the cake. I'm sure that people do it somewhere though. So it's really just up to you!

Loucinda Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 9

I ask them if they are interested in fondant - if they are, I offer a sample at the tasting, I do not ice or put the fondant on any of the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%