Need Ideas For Empty Bowl

Decorating By jenlg Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm by jenlg

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 14

Hey fellow CC'ers. I need help/ideas on how to make an empty bowl like the one in this picture. It's going on a sushi cake I have due soon. I thought about the obvious of placing a 50/50 mix around an empty bowl but I'm worried about not getting it off the bowl once it starts to harden. Plus there is the edge at the bottom. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

[/img]
LL

13 replies
ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 14

I would find a similar bowel, wrap it in a single large piece of plastic wrap as if it was fondant so there are no creases and apply gumpaste on top. you should be able to pop it right off. If you want the bottom bit the make a gumpaste ring and rest the bowel in it.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 14

i have made bowls out of chocolate before, using balloons. blow the balloon up (whatever size you need for the bowl), dip into chocolate, let harden, little hole in balloon to deflate slowly, leaves chocolate bowl behind. can also make a little base with chocolate and glue it all together with chocolate. this would also work with candy melts.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

i have made bowls out of chocolate before, using balloons. blow the balloon up (whatever size you need for the bowl), dip into chocolate, let harden, little hole in balloon to deflate slowly, leaves chocolate bowl behind. can also make a little base with chocolate and glue it all together with chocolate. this would also work with candy melts.

this is genius!

jenlg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of the chocolate bowl but unfortunately the cake will be outside for a long while. I'm afraid it might melt. Maybe modeling chocolate could work as well as the gumpaste.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 14

Why not make it in 2 pieces. Use straight-up gp on the outside of the ball-pan (small or large depending on the size you want). Let that sit for a few days, pop it off and use a new nail-file to fix any edges on the rim. The bottom can be made using a large-sausage of gp (using the other 1/2 of the ball pan). Roll it out and place the ball-pan on top to form it to the right shape.

Do you have an air-brush to get the red/black?

TammyH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 14

I made a very simple little bowl on my sushi cake. It was just made of MMF pressed over the outside of a custard cup. I dusted the custard cup with cornstarch before I started and had no problems removing the bowl. I let it dry overnight and it was firm enough to keep its shape on the cake. It was thin enough to see through. I agree that the bottom part of the bowl could be made in a separate piece.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #8 of 14

is the cake a gift for someome? If so, why not use a real bowl then gift it to the person you made the cake for.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #9 of 14

You could always use the balloon technique with gum paste - just dust with cornflour, apply paste and pop the balloon when the gum paste is dry and it should peel off.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #10 of 14

I honestly don't think it will stick to the bowl once it has hardened.

jenlg Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 14

This is for my nephew's graduation picnic. I bought a small bowl yesterday that I'm going to cover. Wish me luck. I'll post pictures of the finished product. Thanks again for all the great advice!

jenlg Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 14

Well...after two failed attempts at the bowl I ended up using a bowl shaped cake for it. It was so hot and humid the bowl just wouldn't set right. They loved the finish product just as much. There's a small base under the bowl for support, it's hard to see in the picture. I should have gotten a better angle for the picture. Thanks for all the advice!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1393696.html

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 14

Jen, that is gorgeous. I love the presentation.

jenlg Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Jen, that is gorgeous. I love the presentation.

Thank you!! I had so much fun making this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%