What Type Of Clear Vinyl Can I Use?

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm by txnonnie

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 6

I need to get a huge piece to protect my table surface. I am worried about it being food safe. I looked at it in the store and it just smells so new and horrid. I know that smell will dissapear with time. But that smell means it is giving off some chemical in small amounts doesn't it? I can think of a few uses I would have for this stuff if it is really ok to use.
So is the stuff in the craft section on a huge roll that is cut to order OK?

5 replies
pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe I am naive but if it says it is government approved & safe for food, I would try it. Just let it air out well before you start to use it. icon_rolleyes.gif

There may be other options. Is this table your regular work area? Another more permanent option would be having plexi-glass cut to cover the table top. (More expensive, but it won't be sliding around or getting pulled off the table). icon_smile.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 6

I recently got some at a craft store, It is on a big roll by the upholstry fabric. It is by the yard... I figure since it is meant for table cloths it should be ok. I paid around $2 a yard. It comes in a few different thicknesses and if you go to the right store you might be able to use a 40% off coupon too.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 6

Yes that's the stuff I am talking about i just don't know how to find out for sure if it is food safe.

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 6

Tons of information on vinyl:

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=987

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 6

My clear one I use to roll on is from a cake retail store and it smelled the same way. Mine was more costly than purchasing from a fabric/craft store. I would go with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%