Tips For My Sponge?

Decorating By MrsDannyDyer Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 11:51am by ahuvas

MrsDannyDyer Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 6

okaaay... Having lurked for a while, i've finally baked a cake! I followed a simple sponge recipe I found online. I would like some tips to make it lighter, it was a little dry, and didn't rise heaps as I thought it would. The other half said it was lovely though, bless him! It honestly wasn't too bad at all for my first attempt, absolutely edible. I did some fab pink buttercream and sprinkles (will add pics later tonight) which went well.

so! after following more or less to a t this recipe, any tips? I used a hand rotary whisk if that hindered things lol!

175g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175g self-raising flour, sifted

Heat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with greaseproof paper.
Beat together the butter and sugar until the mixture looks pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the beaten eggs, beating well between each addition, then fold in the flour. Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Cool in the tins for two minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.

Oh, and I left it in the oven about 25 mins as it didn't feel firm at 20.

any advice would be appreciated x x

(will fill out my profile soon)

5 replies
ahuvas Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 6

It could be that you overbeat the mixture when adding the flour or didnt beat the eggs enough. Sponges are a little sensitive. THe other option is that it wasnt a great recipe.

This looks good.

Also If I have guessed correctly you are Australian (?) - either way the Australian Women's Weekly website has excellent source of recipes for cakes.

If you are not confident with making from scratch cakes many bakers on here used a modified packet cake mixture called WASC - the recipe is very versatile and is found on the recipe database on this website.

MrsDannyDyer Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:11am
post #3 of 6

No! Not Australian, British icon_lol.gif Thanks so much for your ideas will give em a go x

brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

sounds like a victoria sponge to me?
id agree, beat your eggs, do not over beat the mix (if you cant see the flour, its done), and dont over cook. also use the right size cake pans for the amount of mix.

bananabread Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 6

this is a very nice sponge cake recipe, I hope you will like it

2 cups shifted flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup water
7 eggs separated
1 1/2 cups of sugar (could be 1/4 more because the sugar in my country is not as fine as yours)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil

1- shift dry ingredients, unless cream of tartare and sugar

2. add to the dry ingredients oil, egg yolks, water sugar and mix to integrate ingredintes.
3. whip whites with cream of tartare ultil firm
4. integrate both mixes very slowly, not over mix.
5. pan 11" has to be greased and dusted with flour only in the botton
use paper
Bake at 175° or 350°, from 50 to 60 minutes depending if you are using one or two pans bake until is gold, turn the pan with the cake upsidown and cool. If you have any question write me

you can add vanilla or any other flavor if you want, is very spongy

ahuvas Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #6 of 6

I forgot I had this link and thought it might be a help

Ahh well...Aussie..British.. we are both under the monarchy and should try and stick together icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%