Best Icing Under Fondant?

Decorating By hollyh Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm by hollyh

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 5

What is the best type of buttercream to use under fondant? Thanks!

4 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

I've always used a regular buttercream (indydebi's if it is going to get HOT) or cream cheese, but there is an ongoing thread about using ganache in place of the buttercream - I'll try to find it and post the link. I tried it this past weekend and it was amazing. Let the ganache set and use a hot knife to smooth it ... fondant goes on like a dream and the ganache is solid enough to keep its shape. I have heard that ganache does better in the heat than buttercream. Since I am in Texas and people seem to want to get married outside in the summertime, heat is always an issue with me.

Here's the link ... http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633264.html

HTH!

hollyh Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 5

Great! Thanks! How much ganache did you make for your cake? I will be doing a chocolate 3 tier wedding cake (6" 9" 12") soon and was wondering how much ganache I should make. I don't want to make too much since it is expensive.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 5

It's interesting to me that ganache does better in the heat since it's chocolate and cream. I've never tried it...so I can't say. Everyone is talking about it though, so it must be great.

hollyh Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 5

I can't find indydebi's recipe. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%