What Gage Floral Wire Do I Use???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All !

I am wanting to make some Gumpaste Flowers. Various flower types. I would like to practice. I notice that Floral Wire is used on these flowers. What Gage wire do I use? Besides floral Wire is there something else I can use?

Thank you,

4 replies
Evoir Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 5

Sadly, different flowers need different gauge wires!

eg, making roses, starting with a cone - need a heavy gauge wire to syppourt the weight of the flower finished (eg 18 g)

Wiring individual petals or tiny filler flowers - light gauge, and in white wire usually to look as invisible as possible 28 - 33 gauge depending on size of petal/leaf.

Wiring lilies - I've used 24 and 26 gauge!

Floral wire is perhaps your cheapest option, and it gives you reproducible results as you progress with making flowers. It is also as food-safe as you can get. So, I am not sure if you can use any other alternatives...someone else might have a differing view - so hang in there, okay?

Evoir Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 5

Please excuse my typos...its late here and I need to go to bed! icon_lol.gif

Win Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 5

You can make roses on toothpicks... they are quite a sturdy alternative, especially if you are planning to practice only. The only issue with a tooth pick is that it does not bend so it is almost impossible to turn a rose over to allow the petals to dry (this keeps them from spreading out.) I got around that by wrapping a small bit of wire around the toothpick, form a hook, and have what I need to hang on my drying rack!

Note: when picking out floral wire, the larger the number (gauge) the smaller/thinner the wire. For some flowers such as tulips, you need to sometimes wrap three together to get the strength you need to hold up the head.

GSA has a nice wire for when you want to invest a little more into this:

Mikel79 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%