Italian/tuscan Theme - Need Help

Decorating By ShortcakesSweets Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm by miny

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #1 of 21

I have an order for a 12x18 sheet cake for a housewarming using an Italian/Tuscan theme.
Any creative suggestions/ideas? I'm not coming up with much at the moment.
Thanks!!

20 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #2 of 21

When I hear Tuscany, I think warm colors (yellows, oranges, etc), big green grape leaves and grape clusters. I'm anxious to read what others suggest! HTH

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:34am
post #3 of 21

Terrific theme! thumbs_up.gif Definitely the colors--I would try to blend some colors, either not completely blend your buttercream or do a sponge technique on fondant. Warm, rich colors--terra cotta types--yellow, gold, deep red. Grapes, a small wine bottle. Sunflowers? Florence is also part of Tuscany so do they want more of a landscape theme or popular areas?

ShortcakesSweets Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 21

It's been ordered by a church for a house-warming for their pastor, so they asked that I stay away from the wine bottles. Their house is going to be decorated in an Italian/Tuscan theme, so they wanted to continue that theme onto the cake.
Great suggestions so far, thanks!!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 21

a basket on top of the sheet cake overflowing with grapes, big loaf of bread and hunk of cheese ( made with gumpaste/fondant)

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 21

How about making the cake look like a table. Drape the table with a orangy/yellowy/gold fondant table cloth. Make a fondant urn of green, purple and red grapes, or all purple or whatever colors for a centerpiece. You could easily set the table by making little gumpaste plates, saucers and bowls or whatever. I love this theme! My house is Tuscan! icon_biggrin.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #7 of 21

Thanks again, everyone. All wonderful ideas!!

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #8 of 21

Why don't you visit http://www.discovertuscany.com for some inspiration

ShortcakesSweets Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 21

Great link.......I did get some wonderful ideas.
Thanks!!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 21

don't know if this to late but i have my dining room decorated in tuscan Type in touch of class catalog and you will alot of ideas.

ninatat Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 21

There are also nice banners with saying's on them. and alot of vining leaves leaf's you could make pretzel like bread sticks with seeds on them, maybe you could make a case that looks like a tray, of different items on it,

ninatat Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 21

i can send a pic of my dining room and kitchen but i don't know if it will go through because it's not a cake, try the catalog it will really help you

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 21

Don't forget the Sunflowers! Lots of of them in the Tuscan hills of Italy. Along with the red poppies!!! Can't wait to see what you finally produce with all of these ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 21

Oh, I know. I was dreading this cake at first, but am excited now with all of these great suggestions. I did think of Sunflowers and vines, but the poppies are great too, hadn't even thought of that.
I sooo want to add a wine bottle icon_lol.gif I'm going to be looking for another excuse to do a Tuscan cake so I can put a wine bottle.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 21

I thought you might like to see this even though it isn't a sheet cake
LL

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #16 of 21

I know it's for a pastor but I don't see why you can't put a wine bottle, it's not like it's real or he has to drink, it, it's just a decorative item icon_wink.gif
IMO you can't say Tuscan without cheese, bread, sunflowers, fruit and wine!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 21

Instead of a wine bottle, how about a bottle of imported olive oil?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #18 of 21

This is my favorite Tuscan inspired cake. Maybe you could adapt it to a sheetcake for your needs: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=56749

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 21

I made this one for a priest - it was an Italian theme http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1209442

ShortcakesSweets Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #20 of 21

Thanks for posting the pics of the gorgeous cakes....those ideas could very easily be transferred to a sheet cake.

Miny, I personally don't have a problem putting a wine bottle on the cake, but the customer is the one that requested that I leave it off. Wine vineyards are such a large part of the Tuscan feel ~ I'm not sure why they would choose that theme and not include it, but that's what the customer wants, so that's what I'll do.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #21 of 21

Ooohhh, I thought you were going for the politically correct thing here, but you are right, when the customer wants it (or in this case don't) we can't say anything icon_sad.gif post your pic when done please ......and happy caking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%