How Much Should I Charge??

Decorating By kms0321 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 2:44am by BeeBoos-8599_

kms0321 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone.

I have my first paid job this weekend and I'm super excited about it. The only problem is, I have no idea how much to charge.. It's not a very complicated cake so I don't want to over charge, but at the same time, I usually spend a very long time making the fondant decorations so I don't want to under charge (but I guess that's pretty obvious..)

It's going to be a simple 10" round chocolate cake, covered in fondant with fondant decorations. The customer asked for a simple sports themed cake so all I'm doing is making a tiny football & hockey puck border around the bottom, and for the decorations on top of the cake, I was thinking of doing a football helmet, the Stanley Cup, a hockey stick & perhaps a goal post or whatever it's called for football (although, I don't want the cake to be to busy or anything so I may not make all of them).

I'm not really much of a baker so I'll be using two boxed cake mixes., if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!

1 reply
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 2

You sound alot like me when I first started doing cakes for people outside of my family. When I started charging I used what I call guilt pricing. I started with a price that I thought I would charge then asked myself if I would pay it. If I would, I went up. If not, I went down. Now I charge a basic per serving charge then if I am adding alot of art work to the cake I add an hourly fee. Keep in mind that when you are just starting to decorate it may take you alot longer to make the decorations than it will when you get better at it. I hope that helps you some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%