Is This The Norm?? (Red Velvet Cake Icing Question)

Baking By Jayde Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:17am by ziggytarheel

Jayde Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 15

Here in the midwest, I dont get too many orders for red velvet cake. I really dont get ANY orders for a traditional southern red velvet cake.

Well I got my first, its for a grandma who grew up in the south. So to all of you southerners, is it the norm to use toasted pecans and flaked coconut in your icing? Or is it just a person to person preference?

14 replies
milissasmom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 15

Yes, the toasted pecans is traditional in the cooked frosting. The coconuts, to my knowledge, are optional.

ziggytarheel Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Here in the midwest, I dont get too many orders for red velvet cake. I really dont get ANY orders for a traditional southern red velvet cake.

Well I got my first, its for a grandma who grew up in the south. So to all of you southerners, is it the norm to use toasted pecans and flaked coconut in your icing? Or is it just a person to person preference?

Southerner born and bred who has seen and eaten many red velvet cakes and seen pictures and recipes of many more. I've never HEARD of flaked coconut in icing for that cake.

The tradition is either cream cheese icing (my favorite), or I believe a Mary Kay frosting or even a 7 minute.

I've only see pecans and flaked coconut on German Chocolate cakes.

monkeny Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 15

I think that would be a personal preference. I am born and raised in TN and my husband had a red velvet cake as his groomscake.....cream cheese icing only!! YUMMY! icon_smile.gif HTH

chryscrazy Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 15

I've never heard of coconut in the icing either! I have always had/seen them with cream cheese icing. I've seen the sides rolled in nuts.

Delie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 15

I have a very old red velvet cake recipe. The icing is cooked and has pecans and coconut. Evidently the pecans and coconut have fallen out of favor generally. I love the cooked icing and much prefer it to the cream cheese icing that has become popular.

pianocat Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 15

The traditional RV cake in my family and most I know of is Cream Cheese Icing only, I think the pecans may be a personal choice more for decoration. Coconut-no, but it probably all tastes really good.

Delie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 15

I just pulled the book Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations by Nancie McDermott off my shelf. It has the Red Velvet Cake with cooked icing with coconut and pecans. Always nice to see someone other than me does something a certain way. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jayde Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #9 of 15

LOL, I dont know if this helps guys! The granddaughter and grandson came in to order it, and neither one of them has ever had a red velvet cake before. I presented a tiny sample with my cream cheese icing recipe for a taste. They just mostly emphasized that they wanted a traditional Southern Red Velvet Cake.

I asked about pecans and coconut and they just repeated the 'traditional cake' thing.

ziggytarheel Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #10 of 15

I guess you have to remember that the "south" is a very big place that varies ...a lot!

In the county I live in, for example, my husband and I can pick out several different distinct accents, depending on which part of the county you are from. I imagine each of those areas has their own recipe for red velvet cake!

Can someone ask grandma what she likes in a red velvet cake?

Jayde Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #11 of 15

I think with all of the mixed southern icing combos, I am going to have to call tomorrow and just have them make a decision. I think the cake is a suprise to grandma, so asking her might not be in the cards. Pecans or no Pecans?!?! That is the question!!

Delie Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #12 of 15

Since grandson and granddaughter have no idea, perhaps they can ask their father/mother (whoever is related to grandmother) what grandmother likes. Just an idea.

DeeDelightful Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #13 of 15

I have had RV cake with coconut in the batter. It was good. Lots of ppl don't prefer coconut or a lot of nuts. I'd go really light on both of them in the icing

Jayde Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #14 of 15

Got a verdict, since Grandma wears dentures, we are doing cream cheese only. Coconut and pecans get stuck in her teeth...

OMG TMI!

ziggytarheel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #15 of 15

That's hilarious! Glad you got an answer! I made a red velvet cake today, but the cake recipient didn't want cream cheese icing. I felt like I was breaking federal law. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%