Define Please

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm by __Jamie__

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone!
I watched the Food Network "Here comes the cake" tonight and they used the term Royal Fondant. Is this any different from regular fondant or just another name for it? Also, what is pastry cream? Is it like a bavarian cream?

11 replies
PinkZiab Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 12

I'm not familiar with Royal fondant (it may be a brand name... but I'm sure someone here will chime in with the correct answer).

Pastry cream is a starch-bound custard that is cooked stovetop and used as a filling (or component of a filling) for pastries$, pies and cakes. Bavarian cream is a completely different product, although what some Americans consider Bavarian cream (like the donut filling) is similar to pastry cream, true bavarian cream is a gelatin-set molded filling made from either a creme anglaise or fruit base that is either molded and served on it's own, or as a filling for a cake (traditionally cakes such as charlotte russe or charlotte royale)

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:39am
post #3 of 12

WOW Pink! Thanks for the info. Kerry Vincent used the Royal Fondant term both on the challenge I watched today and on the show about teh Oklahoma cake show. Thanks again.

ccordes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #4 of 12

I watched that and was wondering what Royal Fondant was, too. I thought it might be regular fondant mixed with something (gumpaste???) to make it harder and a little sturdier for the competition?

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 12

I'll go out on a limb here. I don't think Kerry said "royal fondant", but instead, "ROLLED fondant". Sometimes, her accent makes things sound a bit different.


Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #6 of 12

I agree.

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 12
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I'll go out on a limb here. I don't think Kerry said "royal fondant", but instead, "ROLLED fondant". Sometimes, her accent makes things sound a bit different.


Rolled fondant. Rolllled fondant...roiled fondant...rolllled fondant. Yep...I bet that's it. icon_biggrin.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 12

Nope I have it on tape and she definately said Royal Fondant. Then again on a different program the contestant used the same term.

Kimmers971 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 12

I did a google search and the French Culunary Institute came up, so I e-mailed them with this question. Here is the reply (not that it explains much):
Im afraid you heard what must have been a slip of the tongue. To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as Royal Fondant. There is Royal Icing and of course Fondant but no Royal Fondant.


Jock Ellery Grundy
Associate Director Pastry Program
The French Culinary Institute
Tel: 646-254-7532
Fax: 646-254-1232
[email protected]

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 12

I googled the heck out of it luck.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 12

WOW! I never thought you would all look into it that much. Thanks for your efforts. I was just curious.

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 12

Lol...if there's something potentially new out there, we wanna know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%