Stabilizing Topper

Decorating By Renaejrk Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 4:18am by Renaejrk

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 10

I'm going to make a gumpaste 50 topper - but I'm having trouble figuring out how to attach it to "sticks" or some type of support system to stick it into the cake to hold it up! I know a lot of people here to homemade toppers, but I wasn't sure what the norm was for holding them up!

9 replies
Renaejrk Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 10

please help! I need to make these tonight so they'll be dry enough to paint, and then dry for Fri/sat! I tried making them - no problem making the numbers, but having trouble inserting skewers/dowels - it disfigures them and it's hard to find a spot where they'll really give it some support.

nancyg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 10

Make 2 layers of gumpaste. both a medium thickness. Wet them a little lay one flat put a skewer on top then lay next medium layer on top. Press the two pieces together and let dry.

I hope you can understand what I am saying. Its easier this way.

Let me know how they come out
nancyg

Renaejrk Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #4 of 10

do you mean make 2 sets of flat numbers and sandwich the skewers between? what about if I want them to be made from a "rope"?

nancyg Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 10

I do mean two flat numbers, but if you want to do them out of a rope...I have done that also. But, make it thick and dry just a little and push the skewers up very slowly as you hold it firmly. But, lay them down and then insert the skewers. Kind of lay your hand flat on the rope # then push slowly

I am going home and dont have a computer until I come back to shop tomorrow.

Good luck
Nancy

varika Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 10

You might also try using toothpicks--they're smaller and thus might go into your topper pieces easier.

jlynnw Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #7 of 10

wet or dip the skew in gum glue and then insert in the number. Make the number a bit thick /wide on the 5 and 0 to help hide the skewers. In my sweet 16, I tried to design the number 6 to hide the skewer. HTH

Renaejrk Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #8 of 10

thanks guys! I made them fairly thick, but to look right I had to put them in at an angle, I'll just have to stick them in the cake that way! I'm sure it will be fine! I'll secure it with RI just to be safe!

jlynnw Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #9 of 10

you can insert a straw with fondant in it into the cake and then put the skewer in the soft fondant to hold it in place. Please post the pic when your done!

Renaejrk Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #10 of 10

That's a great idea! This is a dummy cake for an anniversary, so it would probably be easier to make the hole ahead of time to fit the straw! That's perfect - thanks! I will definitely post pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%