What Would You Tell This Bride?

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 1:50am by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 10

She hasn't mailed back her signed contract yet; the wedding date is in mid-August here in the south. She tells me she's going to mail it and the deposit on Monday when she gets paid (it's a tiny cake, only 11-8-5). Anyway, she mentions that the reception house (an old manor house) has no air conditioning...in August...did I mention in the SOUTH?
I told her that I couldn't guarantee her icing wouldn't melt, and she asked me if I had any 'tricks up my sleeve'. I told her I could throw some meringue powder in it and keep my fingers crossed. Any other suggestions? My recipe for buttercream (oridinarily) lightly crusts.

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 10

Add some flour or cornstarch to your buttercream--or use fondant.

erin_e Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 10

I've heard that Indydebi's stands up super well--haven't had the chance to try myself so I can't say 1st hand. It could be worth an inquiry but I did make a batch last weekend and it went over like a house on fire...everyone loved it! It was super easy and crusted wonderfully too!

DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 10

Indydebi's buttercream. Made first batch last weekend. Sat on the counter (air conditioned) most of the day and did notsoften up. I was amazed. Its really good too. Reminded me of buttercream cakes from my childhood

Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 10

I was going to say that about Indydebi's, too....

txnonnie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 10

I live in Texas and have done an outdoor summer wedding cake using buttercream, with Crisco and butter, and it held up. It was all white so there were no other colors to bleed, but the icing held up.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #7 of 10

Also what I do is say that the cake is guaranteed to the cake table. I cannot guarantee is through summer heat.

leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #8 of 10

Whipped Cream Buttercream found in the recipe section here is heat stable.

terrylee Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #9 of 10

Fondant would hold the best....it would get a bit dried out but hold it's shape....but non the less I would tell her that you can not guarantee any icing holding. Heat can do some nasty things to cakes.......so can people trying to move a cake after you set it up........... Maybe deliver it as late as you can just before the guest arrive. it might buy you a little time... and take a picture of it before you leave....

cakedesigner59 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, everyone. I will check out the recipes and make sure the bride knows there are no guarantees....

Quote by @%username% on %date%