I Need A Little Help

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 3:17am by kkswmmr114

kkswmmr114 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 9

So a co-worker of mine asked me today to make her a cake for her birthday party Friday night. I have no problem with this... then she tells me what she wants:

She is turning 24 and loves hot pink.

That's it... she is leaving the rest up to me including flavors. I want to do something kinda funky- but I don't know what.

Anybody have any ideas?!?!?

8 replies
shell62995 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 9

hot pink makes me think zebra print. w/ funky stars on top. You could have so much fun with this one!

GretchensDelectables Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 9

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I knew the lady liked pink, and she was really fun. So I did a pink cake with zebra stripes, and a black martini glass silhouette with a black fringe border. It was my sister's idea, but the birthday girl liked it!

JaimeAnn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 9

I just did a pink and zebra stripe one... The B-day girl wanted all zebra I would have rather done the top Hot pink with a black bow...
Here is mine

kkswmmr114 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much guys!! I immediately thought zebra print too... I have never done it though and it looks hard. How do you do zebra print??

I made hot pink sugar tiles last night for the first time, I would really like to use those. She loves to watch the Cake Challenges on Food Network and commented that the sugar tiles that were used on there recently were really cool. This cake has to look great because she definately knows what a good cake looks like!! That makes me nervous a little bit because I am only a hobby decorator, not a professional.

So last night while this was keeping me awake I came up with this idea:
Two tiered, one 10" square, one 8" round (will that look wierd??)
Cover the sides in the tiles or maybe do a kind of two row checker pattern (depending on how many tiles I can actually get on the side of the cake)
And put a few modern hot pink flowers randomly, I saw some yesterday on the home page that looked really neat...

Lastly, what should I write?? Or should I make numbers out of gumpaste and stand them up on top?? She has no opinion on this either...

Thanks so much for yall's help!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 9

I think your idea is spot on. I would not write on it. I would just do a finky topper.

Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:23am
post #8 of 9

Maybe you can also use hot pink as accents. You can also add a tiny bit of brown to the hot pink just to calm the brightness down.

kkswmmr114 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

So here is the final product... Thank you all for your great ideas!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%