How Do They Get The Layers So Thick?

Decorating By sister340 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 6:07am by madgeowens

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #31 of 40

Hope you all don't mind me putting in my 2 cents.

Until about a year ago after I had been on CC for almost a year, I ALWAYS baked cakes - scratch and box mix- in 4" tall spring form pans and never had a problem. Never had a raw center.
I'm from Italy and in Italy thats the norm.
Its also the reason why I never understood why some people here were so worried with torting, I grew up torting cakes and its no big deal.

If I want to make a layered cake now I will use either the 2 2" pans or still go with my good ol spring form.
And if theres no filling, springform all the way.

I just wanted to bring an opposite view point and point out that its not standard that 4" pans cause the cake to be undercooked.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #32 of 40

Just like the others, my cakes are 2-2" cakes that are torted and filled to almost always ending up over 4" tall.

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The 'squishing' method has been around for yearsicon_smile.gif I don't usually have to do it because I bake at 300 degrees and the cakes bake up nice and level with the top of the pan.
What I found in using that method is often the edge of the cake (what is in the pan at the 'joint' where the top and sides meet) gets cracks; don't like that at all.

Learning how much batter to put in your pan and baking at a lower temp with or without a heating core/nail & bake even strips will result in a perfectly baked cake that does NOT NEED any squishing icon_smile.gif

So at 300* how long do you bake your cake approx.?? I have been doing mine at 325* and it takes about an hour maybe a little more. Just wondering, might try a lower temp. and see how it goes.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #34 of 40

I've used springform pans before too and they worked great. I have several smaller sizes and they are always perfectly cooked. I haven't tried the 9inch and larger pans though.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:32pm
post #35 of 40

........at 300* how long do you bake your cake approx.??......been doing mine at 325* ....takes about an hour maybe a little more.......

Actually I use both 300 and 325.
I start off at 300 for about 30 minutes then turn it up to 325 for about the same.
It does depend on the size and shape of the cake. The bigger the longer, of courseicon_smile.gif
Mostly I bake by smell. When you can smell that wonderful aroma thru the house you know your cake is done, or almost.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:17am
post #36 of 40

I love tall cakes, but, don't forget that the standard dessert plate is 6", and those gorgeous tall beauties will be to big to fit on that silly little plate.

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #37 of 40

Thank you for all your replies, I can see this site is going to help me learn a lot. My next question has to do with pillars. I have a cake in July and I've not done pillars yet. I'll start a new topic.
thanks again.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:15am
post #38 of 40

You can extend the depth of the cake layer using parchment paper and extend a sleeve around top of pan.
Also on that new wedding show did anyone see hoe they were cutting circles out of a rather large sheet cake to get the layers? I have never done that.

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:50am
post #39 of 40

How would you attach the parchment paper to the pan? Maybe form the higher height before pouring batter in and having it go all the way to the bottom of the pan and then higher than the top?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:07am
post #40 of 40

Yes.....make it go from the bottom of the pan and extend it enough above the top sides to give you what you want . I think the batter holds it in place...just don't make it too high that it hits the top of the oven hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%