Baked My Next Test Batch! Looky!

Baking By JCE62108 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 16

Im really happy with how these came out. Much better than the last recipe I used (thanks to you guys!)

I had something weird happen though. I wonder if you guys can explain this. I have a theory, though. The first batch I baked was pretty lumpy on the top. Every batch I baked got smoother and smoother. Here is a photo of the first cookie bake and the last bake. What caused this?

Im guessing maybe it had something to do with the dough getting warmer and warmer the longer it sat out while I was working with it. That is the only thing I can think of. Any of you guys experience this?
LL

15 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 16

I don't think it's from the dough because I bake mine frozen..! And they are perfect.

How long did you pre-heated your oven?
When my oven indicate me it's at 400F, I wait another 30min before cooking my first batch...

JCE62108 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 16

I waited about 10 or 15 minutes, maybe that wasnt long enough? I did notice that the last few batch cooked much quicker than the first. Maybe that has something to do with it. icon_sad.gif

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 16

I've had this happen to me too, and I wonder if it isn't from the butter. The butter was too cold and didn't get mixed into the dough enough causing it to cause lumps like that? I'm not sure, that has always been my thought though.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 16

I wonder if you re-mix and re-kneaded each time you finished a tray?

Sometimes overbeating your butter/sugar can aerate the mix too much, but with subsequent handling this can be reduced?

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 16

what recipe are you using? your first batch was lumpy and the last ones are smooth? maybe the oven wasn't heated enough and also butter at room temp is better (i find in cookies anyway)

JCE62108 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 16

I used this recipe:
The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

and I followed it exactly except I added 1 tsp princess emulsion ( I just bought it and wanted to try it out!) icon_smile.gif

I refriderated it for about an hour, maybe longer. The dough warmed up considerably while I was working with it, which makes me think maybe the end result was a tempurature thing, because each batch I put in the oven came out smoother and smoother.

Maybe next time I wont refriderate it? But honestly it was very sticky when I first mixed it. It would have been kind of hard to work with had I not refriderated it. Maybe just get it a little cooler than room temp next time? I will also make sure my oven is preheated. Mine doesnt beep or anything when it is, so I just have to guess. Well, I think I have a themometer somewhere.

Also, the bottoms got really golden brown, but the tops stayed pretty white. I think I would like them to bake a little more evenly next time so that the outside gets a little firmer and the inside stays soft. I think using parchment paper might help that, right? but maybe I would have to slightly increase baking time?

I am SO very new to baking, so sorry for all my questions but I really do appreciate all your kind help. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Sometimes overbeating your butter/sugar can aerate the mix too much, but with subsequent handling this can be reduced?

I did take the scraps and re-knead it with some more dough before I rolled it out. But the cookies looked better to me with each batch baked, so I dont know if this has anything to do with it. Good thought though. icon_smile.gif

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 16

I've had that happen before too, and haven't ever been able to pinpoint why it happens.

Evoir Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:25am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Quote:

I did take the scraps and re-knead it with some more dough before I rolled it out. But the cookies looked better to me with each batch baked, so I dont know if this has anything to do with it. Good thought though. icon_smile.gif

Yep - this has happened to me too...its worked to your advantage as you've made more cookies because you've worked the air out of the dough. In some recipes (some cakes etc), it would result in the finished baked good falling or being tough. Overbeating/overcreaming I think is not great for baking cookies.

JCE62108 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:50am
post #11 of 16

So...did I maybe not mix it enough? Should I have kneaded it a bit before rolling it? I really loved the smoothness of the last batch, but are they SUPPOSED to be lumpy like the first one? Im a little confused. icon_sad.gif It seems like I did something wrong but I got a good result?

Evoir Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:39am
post #12 of 16

Sorry - I should have been clearer!

By creaming the butter and sugar till light and fluffy I think you have ended up with the lumpy first batches. As you worked the dough with kneading I think it helped with lessening the effect.

I think generally with these types of cookies, it is best NOT to over cream your butter and sugar. Even when I end up doing this, I find myself hand-folding and kneading the dough after I take it from my KA mixer until it feels 'firmer' or less airy.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:22am
post #13 of 16

OK this is just my opinion but I think its because the dough at the top of the bowl has more flour in it and is not mixed as well, the dough at the bottom has most of the creamed butter sugar. The best sugar cookie recipe and NFSC both use a lot of flour and the bowl is pretty full and hard to get mixed evenly. They both have you do the butter sugar, then eggs etc which all get really well mixed, then as you put the flour in gradually it gets harder and harder for the mixer to work. Thats my opinion. I had this happen to me quite often and what I do now is make 1/2 batch of dough at a time and I always get smooth cookies. Anyway thats just what I figured was happenning with mine. HTH.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:58am
post #14 of 16

never had that happen using the NF recipe. I have a 6 qt kitchen aide and it does get all mixed up well. I think some mixers that don't have a big motor might bog down and not mix as well.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:04am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

OK this is just my opinion but I think its because the dough at the top of the bowl has more flour in it and is not mixed as well, the dough at the bottom has most of the creamed butter sugar. The best sugar cookie recipe and NFSC both use a lot of flour and the bowl is pretty full and hard to get mixed evenly. They both have you do the butter sugar, then eggs etc which all get really well mixed, then as you put the flour in gradually it gets harder and harder for the mixer to work. Thats my opinion. I had this happen to me quite often and what I do now is make 1/2 batch of dough at a time and I always get smooth cookies. Anyway thats just what I figured was happenning with mine. HTH.

I think this might have something to do with it. For the past year or more, I make only a 1/2 batch at a time, even though the full batch technically fits in my mixer. I think it incorporates much better in smaller amounts.

I thoroughly cream my butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. After the flour is completely incorporated and forming a ball in the mixer, I roll it out and then put the flat rolls in the fridge. The only time I find I have to knead it is if I do the full batch at a time, or I don't let the mixer go long enough. My cookies are tender.

Oven temp may also have something to do with it - I preheat my oven for 30 minutes before I bake, and I frequently check the accuracy of the oven temp with a thermometer....

JCE62108 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:

Sorry - I should have been clearer!

By creaming the butter and sugar till light and fluffy I think you have ended up with the lumpy first batches. As you worked the dough with kneading I think it helped with lessening the effect.

I think generally with these types of cookies, it is best NOT to over cream your butter and sugar. Even when I end up doing this, I find myself hand-folding and kneading the dough after I take it from my KA mixer until it feels 'firmer' or less airy.

Ok...lol, so next time just mix until combined and then maybe knead with my hands a bit to work out the air? Does this sound right?

As far as the batch being too large, it didnt seem like it to me really. I mean, I had a regular large sized mixing bowl and the dough only filled half of it after it was all mixed. I think I got it mixed pretty good.

Oh well, It will be awhile before I try these again because I just starting dieting today. lol. (I cant trust myself to bake and not eat!)

Maybe in a few weeks I will try again. Ill save all of your advice and print it so next time I cant try something different.

Thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%