Freehand Painting On White Fondant--Help!!!!

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:54am by Elise87

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 13

I would like to freehand paint on white fondant and I have seen some beautiful work on CC. If I were to use Americolor gel colors what do I thin it with? Or do you have better luck with some other medium. I would appreciate hearing how you do this.
Thanks for the help.

12 replies
dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 13

Thin your colors with vodka.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:26am
post #3 of 13

Vodka, lemon extract, clear vanilla extract.

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:16am
post #4 of 13

It actually works ten times better if you use powdered colors instead of gel. The gel kind of coagulates in the liquor, but it still works.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:38am
post #5 of 13

i have just freehand painted a picture on gumpaste (in my gallery if you want to have a look) and i just thinned down gel pastes with vodka. Mine has a bit of a watercolour look but if you don't want that just use more paste then vodka or just apply a second coat after the first one dries except make sure it isn't too liquidy otherwise it will take off the first layer.

I havn't tried the powdered colours but like said might be better but i already have the paste colours so i just use them and it's fine.

Also if you have done a mistake just get a clean paint brush dipped in vodka and dab it over what you want to erase and then dab off with a cotton bud and it works pretty well for me.

HTH icon_smile.gif

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:37am
post #6 of 13

Wow Elise87! That is great! icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:49am
post #7 of 13

thank-you! icon_smile.gif

Cookies4kids Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:58am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the info ladies.
Elise--your painting is beautiful. Does that method leave a Matte or shiny finish to the painting? I have used the melted cocoa butter with the Petal Dust and I like that but it is a very shiny finish. You really have a wonderful talent.

Elise87 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you lilybird! Painting with vodka leaves it with a matte finish that is why i like it because when i once experimented with water it would dry really shiny which i didn't want for what i was doing then i was told about vodka. I think it dries matte because it has something to do with the alcohol in the vodka evapourating or something.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 13

You can also use water???

Elise87 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #11 of 13

well not really lol When i used it, the paste colouring wouldn't really dissolve with the water properly and it kinna just sat on the surface of the gumpaste and didn't have a nice smooth colour.

I only use a tiny tiny bit of water anyway to help the paste become more spreadable anyway and it didn't really work that well and stayed shiny that's why i went looking for something else icon_smile.gif

Cookies4kids Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #12 of 13

Elise--when you talk about paste colors are you talking about the Americolor gel colors? I hope so because that is what I have lots of.
I have been using rubber stamps to lightly press into the fondant and then I paint he design. It really opens up a whole new venue for doing cookies, and it pretty impressive when you are finished.
Thanks again for the info.

Elise87 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #13 of 13

well i have seen americolor called gel paste so to me i call them a paste. I use wilton paste colouring but i reckon both are pretty much the same kind of stuff just different brands and names etc so they should be fine!

Is good idea with the stamps. I want to paint on some cookies one day. I bet it will take me a while but hopefully it will be worth it lol

Good luck and be sure to post pics icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%