Freehand Painting On White Fondant--Help!!!!

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:54am by Elise87

Cookies4kids Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 13

I would like to freehand paint on white fondant and I have seen some beautiful work on CC. If I were to use Americolor gel colors what do I thin it with? Or do you have better luck with some other medium. I would appreciate hearing how you do this.
Thanks for the help.

12 replies
dogwood Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 13

Thin your colors with vodka.

Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:26am
post #3 of 13

Vodka, lemon extract, clear vanilla extract.

Trevie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:16am
post #4 of 13

It actually works ten times better if you use powdered colors instead of gel. The gel kind of coagulates in the liquor, but it still works.

Elise87 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:38am
post #5 of 13

i have just freehand painted a picture on gumpaste (in my gallery if you want to have a look) and i just thinned down gel pastes with vodka. Mine has a bit of a watercolour look but if you don't want that just use more paste then vodka or just apply a second coat after the first one dries except make sure it isn't too liquidy otherwise it will take off the first layer.

I havn't tried the powdered colours but like said might be better but i already have the paste colours so i just use them and it's fine.

Also if you have done a mistake just get a clean paint brush dipped in vodka and dab it over what you want to erase and then dab off with a cotton bud and it works pretty well for me.

HTH icon_smile.gif

jaybug Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:37am
post #6 of 13

Wow Elise87! That is great! icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:49am
post #7 of 13

thank-you! icon_smile.gif

Cookies4kids Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:58am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the info ladies.
Elise--your painting is beautiful. Does that method leave a Matte or shiny finish to the painting? I have used the melted cocoa butter with the Petal Dust and I like that but it is a very shiny finish. You really have a wonderful talent.

Elise87 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you lilybird! Painting with vodka leaves it with a matte finish that is why i like it because when i once experimented with water it would dry really shiny which i didn't want for what i was doing then i was told about vodka. I think it dries matte because it has something to do with the alcohol in the vodka evapourating or something.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

majormichel Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 13

You can also use water???

Elise87 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #11 of 13

well not really lol When i used it, the paste colouring wouldn't really dissolve with the water properly and it kinna just sat on the surface of the gumpaste and didn't have a nice smooth colour.

I only use a tiny tiny bit of water anyway to help the paste become more spreadable anyway and it didn't really work that well and stayed shiny that's why i went looking for something else icon_smile.gif

Cookies4kids Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #12 of 13

Elise--when you talk about paste colors are you talking about the Americolor gel colors? I hope so because that is what I have lots of.
I have been using rubber stamps to lightly press into the fondant and then I paint he design. It really opens up a whole new venue for doing cookies, and it pretty impressive when you are finished.
Thanks again for the info.

Elise87 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #13 of 13

well i have seen americolor called gel paste so to me i call them a paste. I use wilton paste colouring but i reckon both are pretty much the same kind of stuff just different brands and names etc so they should be fine!

Is good idea with the stamps. I want to paint on some cookies one day. I bet it will take me a while but hopefully it will be worth it lol

Good luck and be sure to post pics icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%