Is It Really Safe To Use Florals Stems?

Decorating By CAKEDREAMER24 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm by Texas_Rose

CAKEDREAMER24 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 2

I have a wedding cake to do and I'm wondering if it really safe to use that many floral stems for a cake with concern of someone eating one? Also any tips or pointers from some who has made a cherry blossom decorated cake? Is it better to use royal icing or fondant? Is royal icing hard to use...sorry for ALL the questions first time at this one! icon_eek.gif

1 reply
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 2

On the cherry blossom cakes I've seen, the flowers are usually stuck right onto the brown parts, so there wouldn't have to be wire involved. If you were going to make a branch that stuck up past the cake, that would need a dowel inside the branch, but that would be removed before serving.

When you use wires, they don't go into the cake itself. They either go into flower holders or straws pushed into the it's not that likely that someone would eat one by accident.

Personally, I think fondant is easier than royal icing and makes prettier flowers...but that's just my personal preference because my fondant works every time but sometimes I end up with a batch of royal icing that just clogs tip after tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%