Cake Boards For Wedding Cakes - What Do You Use?

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 6:23am by Rylan

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 17

hello!
Cake decorators! I need help. what kind of cake plates or boards do you use when stacking w3edding cake layers? I typically use cardboard cake boards wrapped in aluminum foil, but i keep thinking that i should use the plastic cake plates instead for a nicer affect but they have these little feet on them....not sure that this is what others use? help! here is a pic of a cake i am using as a guide for my first paid wedding cake coming up in a couple of weeks.
LL

16 replies
kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 17

OK, NO ONE IS RESPONDING! HELP!

mrsmontgomery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmontgomery Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 17

That is so funny, I am actually looking for the same advice. I am doing a 3 tier square cake in 2 weeks and have been researching foamcore vs. cake plates vs. reg cardboard cake squares. This ia my first wedding cake and I'm really nervous. I'll be watching for replies!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 17

either use the SPS or use the plastic plates and use plastic dowels that the feet will fit down in. This works great... you get a more secure fit that way.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 17

For stacking heavy cakes I use the 3 mm cake boards, they are really strong and for doweling I use the plastic tubes from Wilton.
My friend has stacked a cake 5 high with this (impossible to move icon_wink.gif ) and it was as solid as a house... well a house of cake icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with your first paid wedding cake!! thumbs_up.gif
Lara

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 17

I use a cake cardboard under each tier and bubble tea straws for support. For the bottom board, I use a 1/2" thick piece of plywood cut to the size I need. I get them from my local lumberyard for about $1 each.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 17

Hey everyone..ok I am a little confused (sorry)
if you were to put a cake board in between the tiers, do you still put one long dowel or something through all of the tiers?? I have read that when you stack big cakes you should dowel all of the tiers and then put one long dowel through all of the cakes (how would you do this if you have a cake board in between the tiers?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

if you were to put a cake board in between the tiers, do you still put one long dowel or something through all of the tiers?? I have read that when you stack big cakes you should dowel all of the tiers and then put one long dowel through all of the cakes (how would you do this if you have a cake board in between the tiers?

I only do a center dowel if I will be moving it assembled. Sharpen it on one end and hammer it through the cardboards. It will go through with just a little force applied.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:

The sharpened dowel goes right thru the cardboard. No, really! It does! The first time I tried this, I was SHOCKED at how easy it was! It worked just like everyone said it would! icon_surprised.gif

For the base, I use 3 cake cardboards wrapped in the cake foil (not regular aluminum foil). Works fine. turn the boards so the grains run in different directions to add strength.

SJ169 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks icon_smile.gif ..so you would only use one cake board (the one on the bottom supporting the cake) not seperate cake boards in between each tier right?? I have a three tier wedding cake in a month and I was very concerned about that dowel and the cake boards icon_smile.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 17

kweenofengland-- that is a beautiful cake!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 17

This is how I stack my cakes. I use cardboards covered with wax paper on both sides under each tier.

Edna icon_smile.gif

SJ169 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Edna! I love your youtube videos!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

Thanks Edna! I love your youtube videos!

Thanks!..sometimes is just easier to see than to explain.
Edna thumbs_up.gif

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 17

My husband brought me home 3/4" foam presentation boards that his employer was throwing out. I cut them down and cover them with fabric and contact paper and use those for bases. They're incredibly durable. They look great covered too... especially with ribbon along the edges. icon_biggrin.gif

I love reading everyone's shared info here! So many great ideas!

~Wendy

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:

Thanks icon_smile.gif ..so you would only use one cake board (the one on the bottom supporting the cake) not seperate cake boards in between each tier right??

I think they are saying that the wooden dowel will go trough the cardboard bases between the tiers as long as you sharpen one side, right? I haven't tried it but I trust Edna with closed eyes if she say it, it is true!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:23am
post #17 of 17

I use cardboards covered in plastic wrap and dowels as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%