Argh!! Fingernails!

Decorating By GayeG Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm by GayeG

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 22

My long fingernails are driving me BoNkErS! icon_mad.gif I mean ~ I LOVE having long nails B-U-T OM Gravy! Everything I do has fingernail marks in it and I have to spend more time smoothing out where the nail marks are than I did actually doing it in the first place! ARGH!!! I know I know - cut um right??? I just dont have the heart! People spend $$ to get nails like mine! And of course - I cant be cakin' all the time .. so I knida wanna keep um around ...
guess I just needed to vent!!! icon_lol.gif Thanks for listening! And if you have any advice, Im open for suggestions!!

BTW: Yes - I DO wear gloves when cakin' ...

21 replies
GayeG Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 22

I guess Im the ONLY one here with fingernail issues?!? ={ Awww ~ Whats a girl to do? ...

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 22

LOL!! When I saw the *subject line* I didn't know what to expect. icon_lol.gif

Between caking and hairdressing I can't keep my nails long at all, they just break or peel, so I'm envious!

BTW........this may get you to *trim* them a bit.

When I was in cosmetology school I had this really neat instructor. She had us scrape out under 1 of our fingernails and we placed it on a slide and looked at it under a microscope.

You wouldn't believe the stuff that goes on under those nails!! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

It's one reason why I have nail technicians working for me, I personally do hair exclusively. My stomach isn't strong enough to do manicures/pedicures. icon_biggrin.gif

GayeG Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 22

Ok now!!!!!! I am totally grossed out!!!(as I take my finger from my mouth!) hahaha I think we did something similar to that in High School - but I was prob. skippin' that day! icon_wink.gif

Yeah - I know - a trim is probably in order ... but PLEASE just dont tell me what hotdogs are REALLY made of ..(being lazy for supper 2-night!)

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 22

you may need to speak to tonedna...she has no problem working with long nails. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 22

I have nails of moderate length--some of the time, anyway; I tend to have soft nails that rip easily--and I've found that with a little practice, you can basically learn to tilt your fingertips in such a way that you are not touching keys on keyboard, fondant on cake, or anything else with the nails. I don't know how to describe what I do, but I haven't found it to be a significant problem even when all of my nails are nice and long.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 22

I don't work with fondant a lot but I do hate the nail marks so I cut mine. I only have to do it when I am doing gp or fondant. I just cut my this weekend because I was taking a gum paste flower class and I didn't want to deal with the fingernail marks. They grow pretty quick so it's no big deal. I don't wear nail polish any more either.

GayeG Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 22

Yes - Every time I watch one of Tonedna's video - I wonder ... how in the world is she doing that!!! I might just have to visit Orlando and sneek a peek! Stalking for Fingernail issue's is legal right?

My nails were NEVER long either - till men-a-pause ={ ... Im not sure if it was the men or the pause - but somethin' made um start growing .. and I just hate to clip um! Im so afraid they wont come back!! I really love um!!
But man do they ever irratate me!!

Varika - I really try to do it that way - but sometimes the pieces are soooooo small - I just need a good "grip"! I will keep trying like you suggested! Thanx!

luv-to-decorate - Im happy to see Im not the ONLY one here with nail issues!! Clipping might be my only way out =(

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeG

Varika - I really try to do it that way - but sometimes the pieces are soooooo small - I just need a good "grip"! I will keep trying like you suggested! Thanx!

I really learned it when I was working with polymer clay in my animation classes--basically, at the tip of your finger is the "pad," and after a while you learn how to use the back portion of the pad rather than the front.

It is probably no coincidence that I have also developed some fairly hefty strength in my hands. Now if only I could manage to convince my ARMS to catch up...

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 22

Since nursing school, I cut mine as short as possible due to the germ issue. My would grow like crazy and are very strong but I can't get past the UCK issue.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 22

I hear ya! I too have nice long nails and this is the only thing where they get in the way. No way I'm cutting them just to do cakes (as a hobby). I just learn to work with them and fix whatever indents I make as I go along icon_biggrin.gif

psychmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psychmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 22

I know what you mean and it is frustrating! And because I am so new to the cake world, I'm not too good at fixing these mistakes.
My nails grow like crazy...
I was making a turtle and some tiny flip flops with my nails - UGH! It was not easy. The next day I decided to just cut them icon_sad.gif c'est la vie

~Raquel

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeG

Yes - Every time I watch one of Tonedna's video - I wonder ... how in the world is she doing that!!! I might just have to visit Orlando and sneek a peek! Stalking for Fingernail issue's is legal right?

My nails were NEVER long either - till men-a-pause ={ ... Im not sure if it was the men or the pause - but somethin' made um start growing .. and I just hate to clip um! Im so afraid they wont come back!! I really love um!!
But man do they ever irratate me!!

luv-to-decorate - Im happy to see Im not the ONLY one here with nail issues!! Clipping might be my only way out =(

lol..I don't know why, even my assistant wonders how is it possible my fingernails dont dig in my work, but as you seen, they don't.. Anyways, at work I wear gloves all the time, at home for the videos I don't. Cause I feel they detract from the video. But in the buttercream ones I have to put the gloves, I can't stand the feel of buttercream in my hands.
Same goes for the hair,I can't work with my hair down!

But on another note..short fingernails sometimes grab more dirt than long ones...check kids fingernails and you will see.. You have to wash and scrub no matter if they are short or long..
Edna icon_smile.gif

GayeG Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #14 of 22

Thanks again Varika! I always try to use that top pad - but since you said that, tomorrow I WILL try using the back! Maybe that will help - Thanx for that tip!

Raquel .. I gotta know ... is the Turtle "wearing" the flip flops? icon_wink.gif Ewww - that WOULD be hard to do with nails!!!

Edna - The gloves just dont seem to matter - it is worse when I dont use them (like when I need a tiny piece of something) - Ive tried both ways and dang-it, little half moons all over!
You just have that "special" touch I guess! icon_wink.gif
BTW: I have to have my hair up to! That irratates me more than the nails - but I can easily remedy that one!

Well, I guess Im NOT the only one .. so I do feel better .... inside that is!! icon_smile.gif Now if I can JUST make um work FOR me and not AGAINST me! Now back I go to smooth a nail mark offa fondant baby's face!! ={ Thanx everyone for feeling my pain with me!!

tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #15 of 22

lol..well..at least you can make happy faces!... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #16 of 22

I always had long beautiful nails, but I cut them off the day before ai started culinary school (required) and kept them short ever since. Working in a commercial kitchen you can actually get cited for a health code violation (in some cities) if you're handling food with long nails. I have no trouble working with them, but since they're forbidden in most restaurant kitchens, I no longer have them.

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz3

Since nursing school, I cut mine as short as possible due to the germ issue. My would grow like crazy and are very strong but I can't get past the UCK issue.

Yes! I get grossed out if my nails get long enough to have the white part on the ends! Now they aren't cut to the skin, but a VERY small length of white it there.

GayeG Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #18 of 22

I wish the gross part was my prob!! Ive been smoothing out marks all morning and had to do a bow like 3 times!! ARGH! Im still trying to use the back part of my finger pad - but so far ... not so good!! Man, the trials of being a woman!! icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:57am
post #19 of 22

I knew that Edna would chime in. =]

tonedna Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #20 of 22

lol rylan..mmm... I wonder why!
Edna icon_lol.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:01am
post #21 of 22

Well if worse comes to worse and you still have nail marks every where ... just incorporated it into the design and place a few more scattered on your bow.

This way at least it will be consistent. Maybe not the best idea, but hey what can it hurt LOL

GayeG Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #22 of 22

That gave me quite the chuckle MissLizzy!! I'm doing a baby topper for this week-end, and yesterday when I was doing her little gown, well ... I ended up doing just about what you said ... I could NOT get them out without adding a new one ... so she has quite a few! kinda does look like a design!! haha ARGH! =}

Rylan ~ Did you eat a extra slice of that cheesecake last week??? 1lb!? *shaking finger!* J/k! Dieting SUX! Opps sorry ya'll for that swear word! But I HATE to diet ... I mean - What does it tell you with a "death" word built right in!? Cant be good for you! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%