Great Question!!!

Decorating By Torte Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 6:17am by Rylan

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 12

Does any body have a great way of supporting a heavy wedding cake that will be fillied with alot of fruit?
I need to know if there is something I can do to keep the cardboard dry and sturdy? I need ALOT of support becaue the cake will be a heavy type of cake with custard and fruit filling. It will be very heavy!!!
Any suggestions ????

11 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torte

Does any body have a great way of supporting a heavy wedding cake that will be fillied with alot of fruit?
I need to know if there is something I can do to keep the cardboard dry and sturdy? I need ALOT of support becaue the cake will be a heavy type of cake with custard and fruit filling. It will be very heavy!!!
Any suggestions ????

You could try wrapping it in plastic wrap...I'm assuming this is the cardboard under the layers? If you're concerned for the whole cake, I'd use a cake drum/cake base.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 12

you can get the cake boards that are thick like foam board

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 12

Well, it's really more of an average question. icon_wink.gif

But, use SPS or use foam core board, wrap it in waxed paper or plastic wrap.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 12

If it's as heavy as you are describing, you will be better off using 3/8 to 1/2 inch plyboard or particle board, cut in a circle or square.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 12

One thing that I have used a couple of times for big cakes is the top of a bedside table. It's one of the $5 ones sold in stores like Wal-Mart. It has three screw on legs that I just don't screw on. The metal inserts on the bottom that are for the legs lift it up just enough to get fingers under. I just cover it accordingly. Of course, I am only brave enough to bake for people I know, so it's easy for me to retrieve....

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 12

There are these foil cake rounds that are so sturdy...like masonite. If you need to do a center dowel you would ahve to cut a hole in the center before stacking because you won't get through it with a sharpened dowel. but these might work for you and they are not too expensive.

laminated chipboard

http://www.brpboxshop.com/cake_pads.html
If the link above is blocked then remove the space in the one below.
http://www.brpboxshop .com/cake_pads.html

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 12

I just did one cake last friday with a black cake recipe. The cake weight a ton. But all the tiers are so strong and heavy that I just stacked as a regular cake. But if I was doing a heavy cake on top of a softer one, either I would swap the heavy one to the bottom or maybe use SPS systems.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #9 of 12

What is the SPS system?

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #10 of 12

Torte,
I just asked that question on Friday night...the single plate method. I will get the link and put in the next comment.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:11am
post #11 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925-.html

This is from the tutorial that leahs posted on how to do the SPS method.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:17am
post #12 of 12

I always wrap my boards in plastic wrap and never had a problem. I'd also use a solid base for the cake to sit on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%