Any Bread Bakers?

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm by jonahsmom

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 8

Wasn't sure where to put this one.

Due to GFCF diet, we have to bake all of my son's bread. Generally it's going okay, we finally have the amount of batter down to a science, but we keep changing baking times because we can't find one that works perfectly for us.

The bread looks BEAUTIFUL for the second we pull it out of the oven and then it sinks. We finally have it figured out how to keep the sides from sinking in, but can't figure out how to keep it from sinking in the middle. I tap it and it sounds hollow, like it's supposed to from what I understand, but after just a couple minutes it totally sinks.

Any ideas?

7 replies
tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 8

Without seeing the recipe I would think maybe you have a bad batch of yeast, or the oven temp. may be off, maybe the bread wasn't placed in a warm enough place for the yeast to work or maybe to much flour was used. Hope this helps.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 8

GF breads are probably the touchiest of all GF recipes out there, but I agree with tthardy78 that I would also have to see the entire recipe to see what might be happening.

Have you cut the loaf open? What does it look like in the center?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 8

Honestly, I cheat and use Bob's Red Mill GF bread mix. It bakes up the closest to "real" bread as any mix or scratch recipe I've tried. It comes with it's own yeast packet. I assume the yeast is good. It "proofs" just fine, haven't noticed a problem with that.

Do you think I should try to substitute different yeast? The bread is usable the way we're making it. It bakes all the way through and isn't doughey or anything. It slices up nicely and is decently weighted (not too heavy). They're just little sandwiches by the time the bread sinks! Since he's five it works out okay, but if he's still on this diet when he's 13 he'll have to eat 3 sandwiches to fill up!

I attached a pic of the back label...don't know if you'll be able to read it or not!!!
LL

jonahsmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 8

The only thing we do different than on the package is that we bake it for 20 mins before tenting and then bake 75 mins...seems to get done the best for us that way....minus the falling part!

Thanks!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:54am
post #6 of 8

I bake my own bread but since we haven't had to deal with this type of allergy I am pretty clueless when it comes to gluten free. One website I do frequent that might be of help is www.thefreshloaf.com It's a bread forum much like this one where there is much expertise in bread baking. They do a lot of artisan breads and that type of thing but I'm sure someone there has experience with gluten free and how your ingredients are interacting with each other. HTH and good luck!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:13am
post #7 of 8

Okay, I had to search because it's just the way I am! I did a search on www.thefreshloaf.com and someone there recommended a couple of websites so I'll pass those on for you to try. I hope you can find something that works for you! I can't imagine life without good bread! icon_smile.gif

http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/

http://gluten-free-blog.blogspot.com/2006/12/dairy-free-focaccia-bread-crouton.html

http://www.redstaryeast.com/best_recipes/ (There is a side bar on the left hand side of the page. Under this if you click on gluten free several recipe options will appear.)

jonahsmom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 8

Fran, thank you sooooooo much!!!!! I'm a total google girl, so how I skipped over thefreshloaf is beyond me! Oh, I know, it's because I spend ALL OF MY FREE TIME AT CAKE CENTRAL!!!!

Gawd I love this site!

Alyssa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%