Fridge For Cakes Only

Business By FatFace Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm by APieceofCake75

FatFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatFace Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 11

I am in the process of setting up my kitchen (home baker). Any sugggestions about refrigeration. I want one just for cakes.

Thanks

10 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 11

a LARGE double-door fridge for CAKES only (or beer. My DH likes that rule, too!)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 11

I would LOVE to have a commercial fridge LOL but I do have one fridge for my family, and two for my cakes, and one upright freezer mainly for cakes.

If I don't have cakes or cake supplies in them I do throw cases of coke or whatever (nothing with an odor, definitely no leftovers or meats!) so the space does not go to waste!

My house is not huge, I have two fridges in my kitchen, and then a fridge and freezer in a front spare room.

I just got the cheap regular two door fridge but measured to make sure the bottom would hold a 20" round board. I found another one on Craigslist for alot cheaper, almost the exact same fridge, and the guy had bought his for a spare fridge just for parties (for like drinks) and then his wife never hardly used it but three times so he was selling it (so it was safe!).

I love having extra fridges! I put locks on all mine too so my kids wouldn't be tempted to check out my cakes. It makes it a really safe place to keep any of my cakes I'm working on or ready to have picked up.

FatFace Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for sharing Kitagrl, that really helped me and by the way I think your cakes are beautiful.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 11

Aww thanks!

Someday I'd love to have a double door fridge so I can fit longer cakes inside but for now it works what I have....

Of course someday I hope I can have a custom semi commercial kitchen in my home too!!!!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 11

Please be advised, I use a TRUE brand fridge and some of their refrigerators are NOT to be used on cakes due to humidity-it will basically turn you cake into a sweating mess. You can find someone to help you curb the moisture, but I just say call TRUE if that is the brand you trust and ask them what they recommend, Just be advised, it is an expensive mistake icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 11

I don't have a separate fridge for cakes because I never refrigerate a cake.

I have a separate freezer for cakes, though.

Are you using a lot of perishable fillings that you need to refrigerate so many cakes?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 11

Leah~ When you are putting cakes together, icing them, etc... what do you do with the iced layers in the meantime (before you are finished so they are not in the way?) If that makes sense... I was going to refrigerate the layers since my kitchen is so small and then put the cakes together at the reception. Is there a better / easier way? (My cakes don't need refrigeration, it was going to be more of a convenience thing incase of humidity...)

thanks

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #9 of 11

I put them on the table in my breakfast room and sometimes on a small folding table that I set up for a few days.

FatFace Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:52am
post #10 of 11

Yes some of my fillings are perishable and need to be in the fridge.

APieceofCake75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APieceofCake75 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 11

I have bought a single door fridge like the stand up freezer. Put them side by side in my shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%