Best Rolling Pin For Fondant

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm by mbt4955

mbt4955 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 10

What is the best rolling pin to use with fondant? I have the 20" Wilton, but I think I need one that is heavier. I have an awful time rolling out fondant to cover a large cake and am wondering if a different rolling pin would make a difference.

TIA.

9 replies
diamondsmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 10

This one works great, personally I prefer it better than than the wilton and it is cheaper too..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fondant+rolling+pin&sprefix=fondant+roll

diamondsmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 10

It's the Vic Firths Bakers rolling pin... sorry

Bonnell Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 10

They make an aluminum one that is large and has handles on the side like an old-fashioned wooden rolling pin. This one is used by a lot of the decorators I see on TV and by several on this site. Supposed to be really good. I think it's from a site called "Instawares". Not certain about that name.

Bellatheball Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 10

I don't know who makes mine but it's probably 20-24 inches long and it's made of pink silicone. It is the best $35 I've ever spent. It's nice and heavy so it takes almost no work to roll out cookie dough, fondant, modeling chocolate, gumpaste, bread. I bought it at a local kitchen specialty store but I'll bet any heavy silicone roller would do.

kyhendry Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 10

I bought this bad boy from Sams Club online (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=328600). Only $16.88 for the big one (for some reason it's 18 for the smaller size). I love it!

Katiekatiekatie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10

Im looking at sams club online and I only see one for 18.88.. hummm

Katiekatiekatie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 10

Wow okay oops I found it! I currently use a wilton, a wooden pin with handles and I was using a big piece of PVC until I started hearing all the scary things about that ( sadly my DH put soo much work into filling it to make it heavy) I like one from sams I will have to try it out
THANKS!
Katie

kyhendry Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

Wow okay oops I found it! I currently use a wilton, a wooden pin with handles and I was using a big piece of PVC until I started hearing all the scary things about that ( sadly my DH put soo much work into filling it to make it heavy) I like one from sams I will have to try it out
THANKS!
Katie

Glad you found it Katie - I did the same thing when I went there. I was like where is the bigger one and then I saw the drop down. icon_lol.gif I used it to roll out fondant a couple of weeks ago for a 16" cake and it took NO time at all! Hardest part was finding a place for it in the kitchen. icon_razz.gif

mbt4955 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks, everyone. I'll look at these and make a decision. I just know I need some help with fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%