Covering Mix Cakes In Fondant

Decorating By EatSomeCake Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 6:01am by Rylan

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 10

Do cakes from a mix hold up well when covered in fondant. I'm concerned that the lightness of the mix cakes may not be able to support the weight of the fondant. I'm just talking about a one tiered cake here. Anyone have any idea. I've only ever baked from scratch before but one of my customers loves Duncan Hines cake mix so that is what I'm using...thanks to anyone who can advise.

9 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 10

Works for me - I use box cake all the time thumbs_up.gif

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 10

My few practice cakes that I made were box cakes and the cake supported the fondant just fine.....no problems at all.

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 10

I use box mix D.H. cake mix all the time and have covered in fondant and never had a problem.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks everyone!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 10

Per a client's request, I made a cake with DH Banana mix this weekend. It's a very soft cake. The character pan came out fine, but the 16 inch oval broke when I turned it out of the pan. It may be specific to the banana flavored one, but I thought I'd let you know my experience. I've never had this issue with a box mix before.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 10

I have been using a doctored cake mix and havent had any problems with covering it with fondant.

I had some breakage when I was trimming the cakes but no issue covering it with fondant.

HTH
Katie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 10

I'm also a mix baker and it holds up fine. The one I did this past weekend had 10-15 lbs of fondant on it (the 5-tier wedding dress cake) and the cakes supported it fine. I've only done a few fondant cakes, but I've never had a problem pertaining to cake support.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 10

They hold up great!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:01am
post #10 of 10

Of course it works. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%