Cake Release...my Cake Didn't Release!

Decorating By mbarbi Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 10:20am by Evoir

mbarbi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 17

i don't know what i did wrong but i used the same recipe i found here on cc... 1 part shortening, flour and oil...

what could've i done wrong?? my cake didn't release icon_cry.gif

16 replies
Karema Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 17

How long did you let it cool in the pan before you tried to take it out?

Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 17

Did you mix the oil, flour and shortening good enough to a paste like consistency? Did you coat your pans with the mixture very well?

miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:23am
post #4 of 17

Turn the cakes out of the pan after about 10 minutes. Longer than that and the release/cake hardens and sticks to the pan.

mbarbi Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #5 of 17

i let it cool about 5mins but it didnt release...i also mixed the flour, shortening and flour well...i did the same thing i made when i made my first batch of cake release and i didn't have any problem with it...

this 2nd batch i made didn't work. icon_sad.gif

sleeper713 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #6 of 17

It didn't work for me either. I mixed it well, until paste consistency... I let the cakes cool 10 minutes before turning them out, and they stuck like crazy. I tried a couple of diff't batches, then threw it all out. Now I'm back to greasing with shortening then flouring, and a circle of parchment paper sometimes.

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper713

It didn't work for me either. I mixed it well, until paste consistency... I let the cakes cool 10 minutes before turning them out, and they stuck like crazy. I tried a couple of diff't batches, then threw it all out. Now I'm back to greasing with shortening then flouring, and a circle of parchment paper sometimes.

Same here... I can't get the cake release to work either .. I do it correctly leave to cool for the proper amount of time , turn it over and .... NOTHING!... Stuck cake... I have never had a problem with the shortening & flour method so I went back to that... I was just looking for a shortcut and it bombed... icon_cry.gificon_confused.gificon_sad.gif Oh well

bakermommy4 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #8 of 17

I use a product called "cake release" and its made by wilton...it works perfect. I've never had a problem with it. Before I discovered the cake release I was using a spray called Bakers Joy...its like Pam spray for baking...and it never failed me either. Neither leaves any taste in the cake and they never failed.

debster Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:46am
post #9 of 17

WOW , Iv"e used that for years and haven't had a problem, I wonder what's wrong????

Sometimes I even use the cheaper oil and shortening. Strange????

Loucinda Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:41am
post #10 of 17

I am with Debster....have used the homemade mixture of flour/oil/shortning for years and have never had one problem. Not sure why it isn't working for others???

Now, I got a FREE bottle of the wilton stuff, and I did not care for it at all...each cake I used it on, a small piece stuck in the pan. icon_mad.gif

deijha Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 17

I have used that recipe for a few years now, and it has never failed for me. i wonder if you coated the pan thickly enough. Don't give up on it, try again and use more, see if that helps.
Good luck
Jeanne

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #12 of 17

I just used my batch of "Home made stuff" yesterday for the first time. I did have a small area stick when I left the cake in the pan longer than 10 minutes. Those that I watched my time on came out really nice. They had a nice crust on them and di not crumb up on me at all. I will say that I think the weather is effecting things in many areas of the country right now. I know we have tons of humidity that messes with everything I do.

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #13 of 17

Don't be stingy with coating the pans. I find some bakers are afraid to spend the extra 3 cents to make sure the pan is coated well.

I have my cakes leveled and flipped out onto the cooling rack within 2 minutes of coming out of the oven .... and if it takes me two minutes, then I'm working slow. Many have good results with leaving them in the pan much longer .... I have excellent results with flipping them out right away.

Mine never stick to the pan.

luv2cook721 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:50am
post #14 of 17

I use the homemade cake release with perfect results all the time at home. I made a small batch and tried it here (on vacation at my mom's house in HOT Alabama) and had disastrous results. Both layers stuck to the pan right in the middle causing craters that required my extra attention. I was wondering if it was perhaps that they weren't cool enough before I turned them out. I saw several people saying to turn the cakes out at 10 minutes, I always do it at 5 at home so I did the same here and it was not good. I am wondering if the climate had some effect. It is hotter an more humid here than at home.

mclaren Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:09am
post #15 of 17

call me a coward but i'm still too scared to try whatever cake releases there are out there, homemade or commercial ones.

i'm a parchment person. so i know the parchment will always come out of the pan together with the whole cake.

lindayvette Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:19am
post #16 of 17

i agree with mclaren...although i use wax paper...never fails...

one coat of Pam on the cake pan to get the wax paper to stick and another quick coat on the wax paper so it peels away from the cake easily.

always works. 100% of the time. i will never go back to release remedies ever again.

icon_lol.gif

Evoir Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:20am
post #17 of 17

I'm almost afraid to try this mixture you're speaking of...it would p*** me off way to much to have an unreliable method that changes according to humidity. I love the idea in principle but would worry about a sticking cake in a time-poor situation.

My failsafe method is light spray, round of parchment on the bottom (or whatever shape the bottom of the tin is) then light spray and dusting of flour. I use a generic canola spray which works as good as a name brand. It also works better than "Sprink" if you have that product there in the USA (Bakels make it).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%